Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SoCal (OC) to Salt Lake City Utah?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So checked the supercharger map trying to go to Utah. I only see 3 superchargers on the way to SLC in Utah, and then only 1 Supercharger in the entire Salt Lake City area, or county.

I'm trying to AP (profit) more arcades and some guy who knows all the arcades told me about Utah. It seems all the arcades will be in this Salt Lake City county area like W. Jordan, Sandy.

Las Vegas def had plenty of options for supercharging if I needed it. Las Vegas I got lucky most the time to be able to have enough charge to make it back home efficiently without having to make an extra stop.

Would it be wise to try get a hotel nearby or on route to that only supercharger in Salt Lake City? Since I will be doing local driving probably in the entire county going from arcade to arcade? I really don't wanna be in a bad situation where I realize I don't have enough charge and I have to go 30+ minutes outta the way to go supercharge. Or are there free chargepoints like in Las Vegas? If I go to Dave and Busters, most likely it will be in a shopping plaza which most the time have EV charging. Or if I stay at a hotel, is there a way to guarantee a charging spot or is it gonna be first come first serve?

upload_2020-8-9_15-13-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-9_15-13-24.png
    upload_2020-8-9_15-13-24.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 215
So checked the supercharger map trying to go to Utah. I only see 3 superchargers on the way to SLC in Utah, and then only 1 Supercharger in the entire Salt Lake City area, or county.

I'm trying to AP (profit) more arcades and some guy who knows all the arcades told me about Utah. It seems all the arcades will be in this Salt Lake City county area like W. Jordan, Sandy.

Las Vegas def had plenty of options for supercharging if I needed it. Las Vegas I got lucky most the time to be able to have enough charge to make it back home efficiently without having to make an extra stop.

Would it be wise to try get a hotel nearby or on route to that only supercharger in Salt Lake City? Since I will be doing local driving probably in the entire county going from arcade to arcade? I really don't wanna be in a bad situation where I realize I don't have enough charge and I have to go 30+ minutes outta the way to go supercharge. Or are there free chargepoints like in Las Vegas? If I go to Dave and Busters, most likely it will be in a shopping plaza which most the time have EV charging. Or if I stay at a hotel, is there a way to guarantee a charging spot or is it gonna be first come first serve?

View attachment 574303
Open up plugshare and look for level 2 chargers.

Otherwise, Supercharging is the reliable option. Definitely consider finding a Tesla destination charger hotel if you're staying the night.

Open up plugshare and look for level 2 chargers.

Otherwise, Supercharging is the reliable option. Definitely consider finding a Tesla destination charger hotel if you're staying the night.

Ya I'll be staying the night so I guess I can try stay at a destination charging hotel. But will there be a chance they run out? How many Teslas will I be competing against?

Ya I got plug share. But it seemed most of the plug share stuff were chargepoints so I just used the chargepoint app most the time in Las Vegas. There were some exceptions in Las Vegas in terms that not everything were chargepoint, like Harrahs, which just had Tesla wall chargers.

The supercharger in Downtown SLC is pretty busy, but it has I think 10 stalls so the turn over is pretty quick The Supercharger at Nephi is at an abandoned Restaurant, next door is a gas station with a pretty ugly restroom. Beaver, added 4 stalls so now there are 8 there, but they are busy most days- We got the last stall there last month- St George isn't exactly on I-15, but it wasn't too bad. I think that covers the ones in UT that are relevant to your trip from SoCal.

The supercharger in Downtown SLC is pretty busy, but it has I think 10 stalls so the turn over is pretty quick The Supercharger at Nephi is at an abandoned Restaurant, next door is a gas station with a pretty ugly restroom. Beaver, added 4 stalls so now there are 8 there, but they are busy most days- We got the last stall there last month- St George isn't exactly on I-15, but it wasn't too bad. I think that covers the ones in UT that are relevant to your trip from SoCal.

Ya just checked the St George one. Doesn't seem its right off the freeway like the ones on route to Las Vegas to So Cal.

Is it risky to skip St George, or do you just gotta suck it up and go off route? It seems after passing Las Vegas, this will be the next one and nothing much for a long while. I don't get why So Cal area has so many options but places like Utah are so limited.

I drive this often and I prefer to avoid St George as it's a 10-20 minute overall detour, but both Beaver and Nephi are only a 1 minute detour. You can stay at Eureka Resort in Mesquite which has Tesla destination chargers, and allows an easy skip of St George. Yeah SLC only has one supercharger but plenty of plugshare locations around the valley.

I drive this often and I prefer to avoid St George as it's a 10-20 minute overall detour, but both Beaver and Nephi are only a 1 minute detour. You can stay at Eureka Resort in Mesquite which has Tesla destination chargers, and allows an easy skip of St George. Yeah SLC only has one supercharger but plenty of plugshare locations around the valley.

Do you drive from So Cal to Salt Lake City? It seems there are very little options even if you top off in Las Vegas and head into Utah, so would St George be a required stop even if its sorta outta the way? Can you drive the entire route in one day? If I do want to stop somewhere for the night, rather do it in Las Vegas since its a bigger city and they got more arcades in that area.

Now I did So Cal (OC) to Las Vegas twice, I only need to supercharge once. Even on my way back from Las Vegas, when I wasn't able to top off to 90-100% due to the hotel's charger not working (to charge overnight) and NYNY hotel charging taken up, I think I started my trip back around 70%, which was enough to make it to Baker with 15% left. Thankfully ordering Jersey Mike's & eating took almost exactly 30 min which gave me minimum charge needed (around 90%) to make it home back to Lake Forest CA with 8-10% charge left.

Which model 3 motor/pack do you have? (assumed you have a LR AWD or Performance)

I entered your route to abrp. las vegas nv tesla(LINQ for that V3) to slc tesla supercharger. If i manually avoid St George, it shows that you must drive at 45-50mph from LV to Utah. That is insanely slow on an interstate and unsafe. No, you cannot make it.

Last edited:
Which model 3 motor/pack do you have? (assumed you have a LR AWD or Performance)

I entered your route to abrp. las vegas nv tesla(LINQ for that V3) to slc tesla supercharger. If i manually avoid St George, it shows that you must drive at 45-50mph from LV to Utah. That is insanely slow on an interstate and unsafe. No, you cannot make it.

Dual motor. Long range 315 miles

not performance

I rather supercharge in St George than go 50mph. Is there any restaurants to eat at within reasonable walking distance? Or fast food in the area and then eat in car?

I made this trip with my LR AWD a couple weeks ago. only supercharger on the way thats a bummer is the St George one since its more of a detour but it is next to a starbucks and a bomb BBQ place so i stopped there anyway...

We stayed at the homewood suites in SLC and they had two 6kw chargers in their garage. We stayed there two nights and both nights we were the only car charging.