Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving my crazy - car charging itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

raft

Mar 23, 2023
Perth
I hope someone can help me on this one. It is driving me crazy. I have a new LR-TM3 (12/22). Version with new lithium aux battery and no radar. I typically only charge once per week with standard process to get home Friday, plug car in and hit stop on charge and then Saturday morning when PV's are firing up hit charge. This was my routine with my 2019 LR-TM3 and works perfectly.

With the new car from first week I did this and woke next morning to a car that had charged to full without me starting it. I thought initially must have been an error on my end, but then it did it again 3 more times. The last time I installed Home Assistant to log what was going on and saw that the car woke at around 3:30 am and charged to full.

I have made contact with service and they don't seem to believe there is an issue with this car. They have blamed my third party apps that I have had for years without
issue and despite me changing my account password, the behavior continued. With plenty of time wasting this is what I can reproduce:

1. Plug car into the tesla wall charger
2. Car starts charging and I hit stop on the the tesla app
3. I leave the car until it goes to sleep (all lights including light at charge port turn off)
4. Open the car door

With this sequence the car wakes up and starts charging (wall charger lights go, car says charging on the internal screen and on the phone app). This does not happen with my old LT-TM3 (it simply wakes and the charge light immediately goes to blue). When I presented this to service they wanted me to allow the car to continue to charge as I normally would stop it. So this evening I did the above and the care started charging but after 1 minute the car stops charging on its own. Now admittedly I have never allowed the car to continue to charge but at least three times the car has charged itself overnight without me instructing it to do so and having no schedule charging or departure time set in the car.

I think I know what response I am going to get from the technician - there is nothing wrong.
The other weird thing with the care is it will not display any contacts with surname after Ta. I only have 100 entries in my address book and if I put any letter in front of the ones not displaying they will then display. Other thing is if I dial a number of one of the ocntact not showing, it displays the name of the contact in the car (i.e. the car has the contact in its address book but just not visible when you search for it). I have an iPhone 13 with latest OS.

Could I ask if anyone has a new TM3 (latest model) and a wall charger, could you please perform the steps above and let me know what your car does and if you have similar issues with the address book.

Thanks

They blamed your third party apps because those are normally the culprit in any "I dont know why this is charging" scenario. To rule those out, you have to change your tesla password and stop using them and see if the behavior continues. Just uninstalling them or saying "I checked and I didnt schedule charging" isnt enough to prove its not any third party app.

Any app that interacts with the car that has a token could do this so to prove thats not it, you need to invalidate your current token for those apps and try it for a couple of days. If you are not willing to do that and just want to say "well I used them for years" that ignores the fact that tesla software has changed over the years.

You have to rule those apps out before you go blaming something else, because its almost always either the third party app or scheduled charging for the EVSE that does this.

They blamed your third party apps because those are normally the culprit in any "I dont know why this is charging" scenario. To rule those out, you have to change your tesla password and stop using them and see if the behavior continues. Just uninstalling them or saying "I checked and I didnt schedule charging" isnt enough to prove its not any third party app.

Any app that interacts with the car that has a token could do this so to prove thats not it, you need to invalidate your current token for those apps and try it for a couple of days. If you are not willing to do that and just want to say "well I used them for years" that ignores the fact that tesla software has changed over the years.

You have to rule those apps out before you go blaming something else, because its almost always either the third party app or scheduled charging for the EVSE that does this.
And because ruling things out is a necessary troubleshooting step for anything. That said, the original post said (emphasis mine),
They have blamed my third party apps that I have had for years without
issue and despite me changing my account password, the behavior continued.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin