Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped off for Xpel Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh it's pictures like these that make me happy I picked blue! Can't wait to get mine!

I've been debating PPF or ceramic... I think I was quoted $1295 for the full car ceramic (Eastern Washington state) and $1650 for a full front end Xpel PPF... I love the deep gloss of that ceramic, but I think I'll need the protection of the film (plan to keep the car).

I'm going to have to debate more....

You could also consider PPF on the bumper, headlights, fog lights only. Keep the cost down and looks after the main impact areas. I have full frontal but could live without the hood, fenders and mirrors.

You could also consider PPF on the bumper, headlights, fog lights only. Keep the cost down and looks after the main impact areas. I have full frontal but could live without the hood, fenders and mirrors.

That’s a thought... I was trying to make sure you didn’t notice any lines from where the PPF stops. I figured doing the whole front end and then wrapping it around the panels a little it would basically be invisible. Also I’m hoping to protect from swirls and I feel like the hood is a huge “flat” area that swirls would be really noticeable on.

Does ceramic coating protect from that?

@acarney If you plan on keeping your car for a while go for PPF, you can always get ceramic later.

I was going to do PPF for the full front and then either have them do ceramic on the rest of the car, or do that myself. I was also going to have them do a full tint on the car for about $1600. Now since I can’t have PPF applied on top of a ceramic (makes sense) and it doesn’t sound like there is an easy way to remove the ceramic coating, I’m debating if I skip the tint and see if ~$3000 will get me a PPF on the full car... then maybe at the start of next summer get a full tint or just buy the Tesla sun shades and see if that’ll be enough.

I’ve never tinted my previous vehicles but I’ve never had so much glass as the Model 3...

I also know AC takes for less electricity than heat, so during the summer there might actually not be much of a range hit due to the heat...

@acarney
I didn't get tint and I'm in SoCal, The fact you can pre-cool your car I do that like15min before I leave work and it's fine.
Dons't take much battery to do it. I like the open feeling in the car which is why I didn't want to tint and make it feel darker.

as for the PPF I would of done it but I'm loving the M3 and wish I got the performance so my plan is to trade it in, in a year or two if I still feel the same way. So didn't want to put to much money into it. becasue you can't get that money back.

PPF will protect from small scratches rocks.. Ceramic won't. Ceramic will help with fading from sun, bird poop, etching things like that while making it easier to clean. It's for sure a different type of protection. People who have the money Will do both for best of both worlds.

That’s a thought... I was trying to make sure you didn’t notice any lines from where the PPF stops. I figured doing the whole front end and then wrapping it around the panels a little it would basically be invisible. Also I’m hoping to protect from swirls and I feel like the hood is a huge “flat” area that swirls would be really noticeable on.

Does ceramic coating protect from that?

Bottom line is PPF for obvious road debris impact areas (At a minimum: Bumper, Headlights and Fog lights) and Ceramic on ‘properly corrected’ paint.

30% on the back. 40% on the front. SunTek Ceramic.

That looks very nice! I don’t know if tint shops get a lot of people complaining it’s not dark enough or what, but they always want to go as dark as possible when I talk to them and most the cars they are working on to point to as an example are going as dark as possible. (About 20% in WA).

I don’t want to feel closed in. I like how much glass the Model 3 has, I just would like some heat rejection and a little more style.

That looks very nice! I don’t know if tint shops get a lot of people complaining it’s not dark enough or what, but they always want to go as dark as possible when I talk to them and most the cars they are working on to point to as an example are going as dark as possible. (About 20% in WA).

I don’t want to feel closed in. I like how much glass the Model 3 has, I just would like some heat rejection and a little more style.
The main reason our clients get light tint, is privacy. Only a shadow can be seen inside the vehicle. Another reason is appearance. Tinting your windows changes the way the car looks. We are in Fremont and a lot of people drive Teslas. They all look the same.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update.
So I did my second wash it did the same strange thing as the first.
It almost seems like the hydrophobic coating is so good that when washing off the foam (chemical guys foam)
It seems as though the water beads off super fast and leaves the soap behind comes right off right after but again seems like the water beads off faster than the foam.

I used Xpel booster. I really couldn't tell much of a difference from just the ceramic to the booster. It didn't look or feel any slicker if anything it may of felt less slicker.

Xpel booster is applied sprayed on then wiped off according to the directions you do not let it dry on.

I may give it another week or two but I may want to try something else so I have something else to compare to.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update.
So I did my second wash it did the same strange thing as the first.
It almost seems like the hydrophobic coating is so good that when washing off the foam (chemical guys foam)
It seems as though the water beads off super fast and leaves the soap behind comes right off right after but again seems like the water beads off faster than the foam.

I used Xpel booster. I really couldn't tell much of a difference from just the ceramic to the booster. It didn't look or feel any slicker if anything it may of felt less slicker.

Xpel booster is applied sprayed on then wiped off according to the directions you do not let it dry on.

I may give it another week or two but I may want to try something else so I have something else to compare to.

Have you seen any swirls showing up on parts of the body that has the ceramic coating?

@acarney

Not sure if I understand the question.
Ceramic does NOT protect against swirls so you are taking the same precautions as you were before.
So to answer your question "NO" I have not because I am taking the same precautions as before.

Oh, I thought the ceramic was supposed to help protect against swirls...

Sounds like I'll skip the ~$1200 for the coating and instead invest that in more PPF. I plan to do the full front as soon as I get the car (at $1650) and then maybe in the spring do the doors if I can afford it and then maybe finally the rear of the car. The car is usually kept in pretty good condition so I'm not tooooo worried about non-leading edges getting messed up with my daily ~8 mile low speed drive... I mainly want nice and easy washing without creating swirls. Maybe I'm a horrible person, but I don't really want to spend hours and hours every couple weeks cleaning the car. I just want to foam cannon, pressure wash, and then whip dry. Maybe when I need a nice gloss enhancer spray but that's it :p

@acarney
I hear you I would do PPF if I planed to keep mine longer.
Lots of people will do PPF then put ceramic over it. Best of both worlds

Sounds like you have a good plan. But your correct cermic will not stop swirls it will make it easier to clean. Which will help you with avoiding swirls but not prevent it. It stops things from sticking to the paint. so less if not no scrubbing but no protection from rocks and swirls ;)

Huge price difference guys, I under stand the difference and plan to do so with the next one.
This was meant for people who are interested in Xpel ceramic seeing it's kinda new a few months old.

Not a debate in PPF vs Ceramic..
I simply mentioned it so people know pictures and experience if from someone who does not have PPF installed.
Again I don't plan on holding onto this car for longer then a year or two and for me price of PPF is not worth it and you do not get the money back in any way shape of form when you sell it.

Just four coats of ceramic coating over two days here - DIY. So far, so good.

M3 w ceramic.jpg