Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped off for Xpel Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the Xpel PPF and a year later I got the Fusion Ceramic Coating to increase water sheeting and prevent spotting. It's terrible. Spots like crazy. I regret having done it. I used to joe able to just spray Griot detailer on the car, wipe with a microfiber towel and BOOM!--DONE. Now it's an ordeal where I have to foam, rinse, and dry it endlessly with microfiber towels--and it still spots. In my experience Xpel Fusion ceramic coating doesn't work with their PPF. No sheeting, only spots. Don't waste your money. The Xpel PPF provides better protection by itself.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on Xpel PPF full front and rockers, and was going to do the Xpel Fusion on top of it. But now your comments are giving me pause. Would save me a lot of money, that's for sure!

Reactions: Tezzie
Hey guys,

I just dropped off my Blue Model 3 for a Xpel ceramic coating.
Will post some pictures and how it is when I get the car back tomorrow.

I was told not to get it wet for 2 days and not to wash it for a week.

They claim no maintenance or top coating needed just a yearly inspection which is free to keep the 4 year warrantee.

Side note I didn't spring for PPF, I feel I may upgrade in a year or two so would rather save the money.

Have you been happy with your Xpel ceramic?

I got the Xpel PPF and a year later I got the Fusion Ceramic Coating to increase water sheeting and prevent spotting. It's terrible. Spots like crazy. I regret having done it. I used to joe able to just spray Griot detailer on the car, wipe with a microfiber towel and BOOM!--DONE. Now it's an ordeal where I have to foam, rinse, and dry it endlessly with microfiber towels--and it still spots. In my experience Xpel Fusion ceramic coating doesn't work with their PPF. No sheeting, only spots. Don't waste your money. The Xpel PPF provides better protection by itself.

I was hoping one of the Xpel guys who posts here regularly would have chimed in by now...

I love my Xpel PPF. I never got a ceramic coating installed on top. I prefer to use a ceramic infused spray sealant once every 3 months.

I can't speak to the Xpel Fusion Ceramic Coating as I have no personal experience with it. If I were to get a ceramic coating, I personally would check this new coating out:

ecocoat shield, Newly Launched Graphene Infused Ceramic Coating for PPF, Vinyl & Flexible Plastics - IGL Coatings Blog

It is IGL Ecocoat Shield. It is a ceramic coating specifically developed for PPF and wraps and, most interestingly, contains graphene. I am not aware of any other ceramic coating on the market that has graphene. Graphene is suposed to outperform all other forms of protection.

• Informative
I love my Xpel PPF. I never got a ceramic coating installed on top. I prefer to use a ceramic infused spray sealant once every 3 months.

I can't speak to the Xpel Fusion Ceramic Coating as I have no personal experience with it. If I were to get a ceramic coating, I personally would check this new coating out:

ecocoat shield, Newly Launched Graphene Infused Ceramic Coating for PPF, Vinyl & Flexible Plastics - IGL Coatings Blog

It is IGL Ecocoat Shield. It is a ceramic coating specifically developed for PPF and wraps and, most interestingly, contains graphene. I am not aware of any other ceramic coating on the market that has graphene. Graphene is suposed to outperform all other forms of protection.

Thank you, this is good to know! What is the ceramic infused shield you use every 3 months?

Hmm. Interesting. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on Xpel PPF full front and rockers, and was going to do the Xpel Fusion on top of it. But now your comments are giving me pause. Would save me a lot of money, that's for sure!

Instead of doing the Xpel Fusion ceramic coating, just have every square inch possible of your car covered with PPF. Consider putting a double coat underneath the front end to protect the low-lying bumper from minor scrapes. The PPF is totally worth it. Xpel hasn't got the Ceramic coating worked out.

Thank you, this is good to know! What is the ceramic infused shield you use every 3 months?

I have not yet personally used the IGL Ecoshield Ceramic Coating. I just read about it and it seemed like a great new product. In general, I am intrigued by graphene-infused products.

I personally did a whole-car Xpel PPF when I first got the car. Since then, I have used various ceramic-infused protectants on top of the PPF once every 3 months. I currently use and like The Last Coat 2.0, but I also used OptiCoat Hyper Seal and Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray.

I would recommend doing a full front PPF (prefer Stek over Xpel for clarity and Stek already have a manufacturing coat on the top) then ceramic coat the rest (prefer do it myself, just prep the car really well is the key. You need at least wash the car really very then Xiron, clay, polish and prep.) If you follow the whole steps and know how to deal with high spot. You will be fine. Not to mention even with pro install, you still need to maintain it to archive the best longevity

Have you been happy with your Xpel ceramic?

Hey buddy,
Sorry, I haven't seen this.

Honestly, haven't had a ceramic prior so don't have a whole lot to compare to.

First I would say not worth doing the windows it wore off fast like 3-4 months

My coating is holding up very well but I've also been babying it a bit no-touch washes weekly and added xpel ceramic boost every other week to once a month.

Would I get ceramic again? I may of gone PPF for more of the protection.
Would I choose Xpel over another ceramic, I truly have no clue. A year in it still looks and protects the same but is it just that good or is it because I've been babying it, not sure