Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dry run for my road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Soon I'll be driving from Spokane, WA, to Revelstoke, BC, by way of the supercharger at Kelowna, BC, in my Model 3. Today I took it out for an approximately one-hour drive in hot weather. I set the A/C to 74 degrees, which was comfortable. Terrain is low gentle rolling hills, and the road was a two-lane paved secondary highway with lots of gentle curves. I used AP most of the way, taking over control a few times when It got too close to a lane edge for my comfort. I've been charging to about 221 miles range. For the first 20 minutes or so it was reporting well over 300 wh/mi, but then that began to drop, until it was reporting 204 wh/mi when I got back home. I had driven 55 miles in a little over an hour, and it reported 171 miles remaining. I drove some of the time at 55 mph, the speed limit on that road, and sometimes at 57 mph. I had to slow down for the occasional small town, and then the car did very nicely: If there was a car or truck ahead of me, I didn't need to do anything. If not, the right scroll wheel let me adjust my speed to the limit.

I was mostly happy with the performance of AP. Not so much that I'd take my eyes off the road, but enough that I feel that if I were distracted for a moment the car would probably do okay for that moment. The worst was that it tended to hug the outside of the lane on turns. Those were mostly the places I took over the steering, turning AP back on once I was out of the turn. There were a few times it applied brakes for no apparent reason. Hey, it's a BETA feature. For what it is, I'm pretty happy with it.

I often get no AT&T cell signal in my garage, but I had a signal when I got home, so decided to tell the NAV to find me the route to Kelowna. It wanted to send me the wrong way, through Coeur d'Alene and the supercharger there, and then said I'd reach Kelowna with 10% remaining. I told NAV to eliminate the supercharger stop, and then it told me I could not make it. WHAAAA???? :eek: Oh, yeah. Doh! I had 171 miles of range after driving 55 miles from a 220 starting range. Of course I would not be able to make it to Kelowna. I'll be charging to 100% before my trip. ;)

It thought I'd have 10%, or about 32 miles remaining if I drove from Coeur d'Alene to Kelowna. But it's 22 miles from here to C d'A, exactly the wrong way, so I should arrive in Kelowna with a shade over 50 miles. I am SOOOOO looking forward to making this trip without using gasoline! :cool: :p (All the other legs of the trip are shorter.)