Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question: should I order the wall connector together with the vehicle order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the dumb question, as this is my first post in the forum.

I put in an order a week ago for WYLR, delivery date is expected to be Nov 2022 - Feb 2023. Along the order I also checked the options for Wall connector and mobile connector (yike, I need to buy mobile charger saparately now). I remember there was a estimated delivery time for the connectors to be Aug 2022. Well it make sense I get wall connector installed several months before car is ready.

But .... I got shipping notification last night, and the wall connector will be delivered in 2 days! Why do I need it so early, like 9 months collecting dust? What if they upgraded wall connector during this time. Should I return it first and order it later? When do you guys usually order your wall connector?

imo, just keep it and get it installed. There is a small chance it has some type of update, but it was recently updated, and its core function of charging the car isn't going to change meaningfully.

The same can happen for your car. Depending on trim and other factors, you could hear from Tesla next month that your vehicle is ready instead of the estimated date. Better to be prepared. And what if there is no stock in 1/2/5 months when you go to buy the wall connector?

Hard to call since Tesla is so unpredictable, but I can share my experience. Purchased wall charger sometime in end of March for $495 to get things ready for delivery. Price was actually lowered to $400 since! Messaged their customer service about this price change for an adjustment since my wall charger was still new in box or I can easily return and repurchase at the lower price. They gave some BS response about the change and as a courtesy and gave me the adjustment (minus taxes - not sure that is standard practice). In hindsight I probably could have waited until closer to EDD but they could have easily raised the price - you never know.

Thanks, you all have a good point. On one hand, it seems the supply for the wall chargers is pretty abundant right now, and they just refreshed the version and add the cable length to 20'; on the other hand things could change like cable length (Last Sept 2021 they changed), and price. I will see when it's delivered, and ask around about installation. I might keep it in the end.