Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector vs. Wall Charger - Renting a House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me, too. I was just quoted nearly $2000 for the 50 amp circuit ($18 per foot), using a Tesla approved installer). That doesn’t include the wall charger. However, I just took a 45 mile drive, and it projected 13+ hours to re-charge using my standard 120v circuit. Is mine just slow?
3.46 miles an hour is about right. Figure 3 miles per kWh. The exact amount depends on your car and temperature. With 120 volts at 12 amps that will charge your battery 1 kWh per hour + or - depending on temperature.

You're the guy with the 208 volt outlet for your table saw, but everyone in that thread was questioning if you really had 208 volts or 240 volts, but it doesn't matter. Why don't you use that circuit to charge your car?

I didn't word this well. The owner has no EV experience, and I have been using a Supercharger exclusively and have not looked into home charging options until this moment. So, it was a conversation between two people with only a vague idea of what they were actually discussing.

Now that I'm slightly less clueless about what I'm actually asking, this would be my proposal to him:

Option 1: I buy a Universal Wall Connector. He hires and pays for a qualified electrician to hardwire it into the garage. Universal Wall connector becomes part of his property and remains there after we leave.

Option 2: I buy a Mobile Connector which will remain my property. He hires a qualified electrician to make sure there is an outlet in the garage that can be safely used with the mobile connector. I'll reimburse him 100% for whatever he pays the electrician. The Mobile Connector leaves with me when we move.

There is a Supercharger 5 minutes away from the house, so it sounds like even at 120v a Mobile Connector should be fine for my current needs.
I would find charging at a Supercharger for daily driving so inconvenient (because I know how convenient charging at home with 240 volt charging is) that I would probably go back to ICE. I am curious what your experience is with only using Superchargers?

What did you and your landlord decide?

Me, too. I was just quoted nearly $2000 for the 50 amp circuit ($18 per foot), using a Tesla approved installer). That doesn’t include the wall charger. However, I just took a 45 mile drive, and it projected 13+ hours to re-charge using my standard 120v circuit. Is mine just slow?
What volts and amps does the car display? When it gets cold charging can take longer because the car will use more power when driving and it takes longer to charge a cold battery. If you have 12-2 wire and a 20amp breaker you can change the outlet to a NEMA 5-20 and charge at 15-16amps, for 1/4 to 1/3 more power.

No, 120v is slow. That's normal. You need a 240v circuit, basically any amp (30, 40, 50 or 60, with appropriate outlet or wall charger). I can charge my MYP from 10 to 80% in about 5 hours. Half that speed would do the same thing while you sleep, which is what you get using an electric dryer outlet (30amp) and the portable charger. 50amp is better, but more expensive for components, but maybe much cheaper. And you can use a beefy extension cord to get power where you want it.

The charge rate you are experiencing is about what is expected.

Using the portable charge cord and 120 volt circuit at 12 Amps yields about 4 or 5 miles per hour average charge rate for model 3. A little slower when the weather is colder or if there is voltage drop in the system. A little slower if the battery is at a high state of charge. I plan on about 50 miles from an overnight charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H