Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Economical alternative to the LH speaker upgrade: NVX 2 ohm 6.5" component speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed the NVX subwoofer kit and have been very happy with the results. The subwoofer dramatically improved sound quality that I really didn't need to do any thing else. I am not an audiophile, but I do like tinkering with stuff. This prompted me to look into further upgrading the stereo albeit without breaking the bank. I didn't want to go all out and install additional amps and DSP's etc. I looked into buying a pair of Lightharmonic door speakers, but I didn't want to spend $579 on a pair of mid's. So, I did a search for 2 ohm speakers and I was happy to find these by NVX:

VSP65KIT2F 750W Peak (250W RMS) 6.5" 2-Ohm V-Series 2-Way Component Speakers with 25mm Silk Dome Tweeters - $109​

NVX is Sonic Electronic's in-house brand and has a reputation being a solid brand for entry-level car audio gear. I haven't been able to find any reviews for these speakers yet, However, the 4-ohm version of these speakers has stellar reviews.

So, far I have only installed the 6.5" mids. I used 3D-printed mounting brackets and installed sound deading in the doors. They really sound good. To my untrained ears, they sound as good if not better than the OEM speakers. Loud and clear mid-bass with zero distortion running off the OEM MCU at max volume. They still have to be broken in, so I am hoping that they will sound even better in the future. I am going to install the tweeters soon and will report back.

Reactions: beatle
I like NVX as well. I didn't know they were Sonic Electronix's house brand. I also run the NVX sub and sub amp which are great, but I think a midbass upgrade is the least noticeable. I barely noticed anything when I went from stock to a pair of Audiofrog GS60 midbass drivers. Still, it's nice that there are some good, inexpensive 2 ohm components out there. The biggest jump for me was installing some nice midrange drivers, though I don't have UHFS.

Sound deadening can make a big difference even if you leave your speakers stock. Consider adding some closed cell foam on top of the butyl backed sound damping. It helps with plastic rattles.

Got any pics of your mounting brackets? It's great to have a less expensive alternative to the ones made by CSG.

You can run the mids full range, but make sure to put the crossover (or at least a cap) on the tweeter.

Hey Beatle,

Thanks for the advice about adding a cap for the tweeters. I was just going to swap out the NVX's for the stock ones, assuming that the signals being sent to them were already filtered for high frequencies. Now, I need to figure out where to place the crossovers or buy some caps. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of my printed mounts. They look just like the ones in the link above.

John