Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EEstor ultra-capacitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EEStor information overload (not a typo) in leaked interview with CEO Dick Weir — Autoblog Green

EEStor's contract with ZENN is for energy units that cost "$100 / kWh, excluding electronics." This is very cheap, and Weir says that, "nobody is going to compete with us. Certainly not lithium ion."
EEStor has produced "tens of thousands of grams" of the powder needed for the EESUs, what Weir calls "a huge amount."
A company called Polarity, in California, is building the circuits that will be used in the ZENN cars. Polarity is making circuits for "other customers," but ZENN gets them first.
EEStor is "dealing a lot with people in the electrical vehicle business."
"I'm really in deep with Lockheed Martin. And here's what Lockheed Martin told everybody: 'We can't guarantee this works but we can't find reason why it won't work.'"
Weir believes EEStor will be "the greatest capacitor company in the world"
Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers owns about 20 percent of EEStor, and EEStor's founders still have a controlling interest in the company.
ZENN's next investment round will be around $75-$80 million.
Weir said that his EESU's will help buffer the U.S. electric grid in a big way. "Not only are we going to give the electric vehicle market a boost but also give them the energy to run it... We make wind and solar real. If you take our batteries and those with wind and solar, what you do is amortize out the variations and make it highly stablized. You can make a wind farm look just like a coal fired plant with our batteries. And make it very cost effective."

Wanna listen?

The future

Wanna listen?
Not really ... With more and more "news" of vaporware (EEStor and hydrogen fuel cells being chief offenders) polluting the infosphere, I feel more and more distraction from areas where real progress is taking place.

Who cares about subtle machinations of EEStor hyping their fancy [mildly useful] barium-titanate powder, when a real industrial research organization is most positioned to bring us the ultimate battery to the table:
The newly developed lithium-air cell with alkaline aqueous electrolyte gel has a discharging capacity of approximately 9000 mAh/g when it is discharged in the air at a discharge rate of 0.1 A/g. The charging capacity is about 9600 mAh/g. These values are considerably larger than the reported values of conventional lithium-air batteries (700 - 3000 mAh/g). Furthermore, by using an alkaline aqueous solution in place of an alkaline water-soluble gel, continuous discharging up to 20 days at the discharge rate of 0.1 A/g in the air has been realized. The discharge capacity of the cell was approximately 50,000 mAh/g (shown in Fig. 3).

For a little perspective:
fig_2.png

Hamilton: Race is on to build a better electric-car battery

"Honestly, I don't know if EEStor has solved it or not," says Elon Musk, co-founder and chief executive of electric carmaker Tesla Motors. "I've heard people say it's just B.S., and others say it's a big breakthrough. Until you see something on the road, objectively it's hard to say what's true."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to give credit to Elon Musk for not being scammed by EESTor. If EESCAM had what they claimed, they would have not run out of money like they did last year. There would be no need for Dick Weir investor calls, VC would be throwing money at EESCAM.

Must Read

Sums up where we are at this point in the EESTOR/Zenn story.
Posted by Penny Gruber on theestory.com.
Link

Zenn=Zenn salesman, Prospect=Zenn potential customer

"The cold calls would be relatively short:
Zenn:"We will soon have this great drive system that you should want to buy. It is powered by EESUs."

Prospect:"What is special about your drive? What are the specifications?"

Zenn:"It's smaller than a house and bigger than a breadbox."

Prospect:"Can you be more specific?"

Zenn:"It uses a battery, well a capacitor that never wears out, charges in three minutes and goes 250 miles on a single charge."

Prospect:"Those are extraordinary claims. Where has this been tested?"

Zenn:"We haven't exactly tested it. Dick Weir tells us that we should be getting the EESUs real soon now."

Prospect:"No one has ever tested this device that you make such amazing claims for?"

Zenn:"We did permittivity tests. The permittivity is really high. And it's stable against temperature."

Prospect:"That's nice. Has the battery or capacitor or whatever you want to call it ever been tested to do the incredible things you claim?"

Zenn:"We have powder purity results. Our, er EEStor's powders are really, really pure. EEStor told us that is important."

Prospect:"You've never seen one of these batteries, have you?"

Zenn:"Dick Weir assures me that EEStor has been making great progress. He's been assembling since June, so you could say he is ahead of schedule."

Prospect:"I am sorry, but do you have anything tangible to show me?"

Zenn:"Well we have the electric drivetrain itself. We were going to put it in our CityZenn cars."

Prospect:"What is special about your drivetrain?"

Zenn:"It is powered by an EESU!"

Prospect:"Which has incredible specifications?"

Zenn:"YES!"

Prospect:"That you have never tested?"

Zenn:"Yes, I mean no, the powder is really pure, and the permittivity is great across temperature, and Dick Weir says ..."

Prospect:"But you have never tested a battery?"

Zenn:"No, we are waiting for commercialization to do that. It's EEStor's secret plan to throw competitors off the scent."

Prospect:"It's a secret plan, but you are telling me this now?"

Zenn:"YES! EEStor has been careful to make sure no one believes them."

Prospect:"I can see how. And you have never tested one of these batteries?"

Zenn:"No, but Dick Weir says ..."

Prospect:"And has anyone else tested any of these batteries?"

Zenn:"Well some bloggers are absolutely convinced that SOMEONE has."

Prospect:"Perhaps EEStor has some test data they would care to share?"

Zenn:"No, they can't do that. You might leak it to one of their competitors, and then they would believe EEStor have what they say."

Prospect:"But you've just told me their plan. Are you telling others their plan?"

Zenn:"Uh, ... maybe."

Prospect:"Well if you're telling people their secret plans those plans are hardly a secret now are they?"

Zenn:"I suppose not."

Prospect:"If what's special about your drive is the battery, what do you provide?"

Zenn:"The ZENNERGY DRIVE!"

Prospect:"And why do I want this drive? What is different? What does it do that is valuable?"

Zenn:"It's powered by the EESU!"

Prospect:"Yes, yes, is there anything else that is special about the drive? Does it have any unique characteristics or specifications?"

Zenn:"We have a Flash animation on our web site."

Prospect:"Could you summarize, apart from the battery you don't yet have, what is special?"

Zenn:"We think the Flash animation is really cool. We have a background in internet art."

Prospect:"Yes, well apart from the animation, what specifications do you have for your drive? Is it cheaper? Is it safer? Does it have a wider operating envelope? Is it more efficient?"

Zenn:"It's a really cool animation. We'll design the drive to your needs."

Prospect:"We already have our own engineering for such projects."

Zenn:"Yes, well, we would want them to design it for us."

Prospect:"I beg your pardon?"

Zenn:"Your design team, we would want them to design the Zennergy drive for us. Then we would have someone else make it, and you would buy it from us."

Prospect:"And we would do this, why?"

Zenn:"Because the Zennergy Drive is the ONLY way to get an EESU for cars under 1400 pounds. We have the exclusive license for that! We will only sell you the battery if you buy it as part of the Zennergy Drive!"

Prospect:"Let me try to understand this. You want me to engineer your product that you don't have, so that I can buy it with a battery in it that you also don't make and don't have, that you say does incredible things, but which you have no objective evidence for?"

Zenn:"YES!"

Prospect:"Listen, I've got to be going. Uh, why don't you, uh well tell you what when you've got a battery to show, call my assistant."

Zenn:"You don't want to wait Dick Weir says we'll have a battery real soon. We're betting our company on it!"

Prospect:"I've really got to go.""

The EESCAM story has been going on over six years. The story has been nothing but "iffy"....."if" I could only win the lottery.

No one outside Dick Weir's (CEO of EESCAM) fantasy world has seen the "ceramic battery" which meets it's patent claims. No reputable independent 3rd party has verified if this "ceramic battery" exists.

But expect another press release from Dick Weir and or Ian Clifford of Zenn Mortors before years end to pacify a certain blogger (Baghead) and his believers on how they have successfully tested components, but no product/battery which will meet EESCAM claims will be delievered to Zenn. The scam will continue into 2010, 2011, 2012....

OMG!! That EESTOR/Zenn interview is difficult to believe. If the Zenn salesperson is providing accurate feedback then we could expect a ZAP-X to be powered by an EESU.

Even the most secret of plans are eventually revealed. Otherwise, why stir up so much hype?

Otherwise, why stir up so much hype?

Because Dick Weir knows the hype keeps him employed. Dick's last 2 companies failed and lost investors money. Currently he is doing the same hype BS with EESCAM of this "EESU", and in this case he has family employed. Wish I had a gig like that.

What ever happened to the hype BS from Dick Weir he was "ahead of schedule" in delivery of the EESU's to Zenn in 2009?

Here is a review of some of the hype, lies and pump job of the EESCAM story:
Link