Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, if you’re listening ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have (what I think to be) a great idea inspired by the COVID-19 social distancing craze. My apologies if it’s already in development.

The fully realized version of my idea is a Tesla with FSD can be sent to pick up your groceries (or what have you) and bring them back to your garage.

Near term, a Tesla shopping app can integrate with various retailers so that you can place your order through it, receive a notification when the order is ready and get directions sent to your Tesla.

As you drive through the pickup lane, the car will authenticate with the store with a WiFi handshake and release the trunk/tailgate at the loading zone. Someone loads your cargo and off you go.

With EVs, there is no reason why these loading zones couldn’t be located indoors in some fashion.

Apart from allowing retailers to continue operating during lockdowns, there is a lot of convenience and less environmental footprint with not having to park in a huge parking lot.

To those that think that Amazon already does this without involving your Tesla, I think it’s more convenient not having to wait for a delivery truck. Heck, with Amazon warehouses popping up everywhere, Amazon might be the first retailer to work with Tesla on this.

What do you think? And how could this be even better?

You like hanging around malls? Door dents? Kiosk samples?
Yeah I like leaving the house once in a while.
Your idea doesn’t add anything of value to the current system of having stuff shipped via a shipping service such as fedex/ups. Why would I want my car drive somewhere to pick something up instead of having it shipped? I just don’t see any value in that

Reactions: XLR82XS
Sometimes you don’t want to wait around for weeks for that parcel to arrive. This also expands on curbside services that retailers and grocers are already offering due to COVID. I like getting out too, just not to a mall.

I like this idea. I online shop with my local Walmart (which already has a curb side pick). And then I send my car to pick it up. Which goes to the curb side pick section , and based on my license plate the staff load it in my trunk and off it comes to my home. I love it.

I like this idea. I online shop with my local Walmart (which already has a curb side pick). And then I send my car to pick it up. Which goes to the curb side pick section , and based on my license plate the staff load it in my trunk and off it comes to my home. I love it.

Exactly, except the car can authenticate with the retailer, announce its arrival and open its trunk as it enters the pickup zone.