Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla profit margin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just wondering how can these billion dollar companies make so much money with slim profit margins? Like a normal person may go do their 9-5 job, they spend $10-$20 on gas or electricity, they make $150-$200 day before or after tax so they at least 15x their money if they paid $10 for gas and made $150. But I think Apple makes only 30% profit margin so does that mean every $100 they spent, they made $130 for $30 profit?

I have my arcade spreadsheet and I can usually do 300% to 375% profit based on retail value. Whatever I think the arcade tickets are worth but I try not to sell my stuff because you can lose value if your only goal is to get money. But based on my spreadsheet I only made $120 day going to Dave and Busters after reselling one console. I had a really high profit margin but I don't think most major companies have 300% to 400% profit margin.

Is Tesla profit margin like 30%? So if they spend $1 billion, they get $300 million profit? Can you just wing it and hope you're still profiting especially if most start up companies operate at a loss for over 5 years? Do you need spread sheets? How do companies plan on recouping their initial loss when they profit, or what if it just doesn't happen?