Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency braking activated today, first time in 2+ years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if this is a software version bug as I was quite far away from a hard braking SUV in front of me and the braking was way too hard and exaggerated. My 4 year old daughter in the car seat did NOT like the experience!

Had anybody been behind me I could easily have been rear ended, and there seemed to be no driver override capability to the braking.

The accelerator pedal should override the emergency braking.

Just make sure you hitting the accelerator isn't a quick stab, what you want is to gently hit the accelerator to override AEB. I have had this experience too and it is not pleasant. I tried to stab the accelerator and nothing happened, hit the brakes hard did deactivate AEB for a moment, then AEB came back on for another hard stop.

Reactions: designrs
Not sure of OP's exact situation.

I was modulating the brakes to a quick stop for a traffic backup when AEB decided I wasn't stopping quick enough and jammed on the brakes. Ended up with at least two car lengths to the car ahead. But that was a true AEB intervention with AP off. The guy behind me clearly didn't like that, though maybe my braking would have had the same response. I'm not going to be hitting the accelerator for something like that, though that's my normal response to phantom braking.

AP has always been a very early braker for cars turning in front of you or other slow cars in the same lane. Not phantom braking, since there's a good reason to be braking, but excessive. Being ready on the accelerator and watching for those cases can make you look more like a human driver and less like an autonomous student driver.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and Phlier
I'm wondering if this is a software version bug as I was quite far away from a hard braking SUV in front of me and the braking was way too hard and exaggerated. My 4 year old daughter in the car seat did NOT like the experience!

Had anybody been behind me I could easily have been rear ended, and there seemed to be no driver override capability to the braking.
In addition to what people are saying about use of the accelerator pedal, check the setting that you have in terms of collision emergency warning. If you set it for earliest warning that tends to make automatic emergency braking more paranoid. We used to have all kinds of Phantom and paranoid braking on both cars until we changed that setting and then the frequency dropped dramatically.

New owner here... I'm wondering under what settings this happens. IE, is it dependent on Auto Drive or FSD, or using cruise control? It sounds like it's always active, but I'm not totally sure.

One thing I found that I really like about the Tesla is the cruise control. I've only had old-style cruise control in the past, but today I used Tesla's on a freeway drive home where I hit stop and go traffic. I never touched the pedal the whole way, just steered and watched. It kept a perfect distance, stopped smoothly in the right spot, etc. I haven't even enabled AD so far, and I'm not certain that I will for a while. But the adaptive cruise control, along with the regenerative braking made the stop and go traffic so much easier that I now want to get another Tesla and trade in my old 2002 Acura. One day it'll happen.

I have always been concerned about unwanted emergency braking. My 2020 Model 3 SR+ (with AP) is about 7 months old now with several thousand miles. Knock on wood, I have not had any serious unwanted braking issue.

The only thing the car has ever done is moderately brake while using AP if a car pulled out in front of me... nothing drastic and easily corrected with slight application of the accelerator. I never experienced phantom braking either.

The other day, I got into a serious situation where emergency braking certainly would have been warranted. (After a lane change into fast and heavy traffic, traffic unexpectedly stopped dead! Several cars were nearly “piled up” in an “accordion effect” several cars deep.) I was self-driving. Evidently my Model 3 was satisfied with my manual braking in this situation and to my knowledge did not take any action. Fortunately the car behind me was alert.

My collision warning setting is set to “Medium” and it does warn sometimes, usually when rounding a corner around parked cars.

Note: I only use AP for very easy and clearly marked roads, otherwise I switch it off and just drive myself.

I wonder how abrupt this braking usually is in most cases. Perhaps it seems more drastic to the driver when it is unexpected?

Last edited: