Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency stop threshold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P has on three occasions done a full-on emergency stop by itself. The first time was when a cyclist veered across in front of me and the car’s reaction scared the life out of me and the kids in the back! (I didn’t even know this was a feature at the time..) and the other two occasions were when I got kinda close to a car in front as they cut in from another lane. Each time I felt I was totally in control of the situation and had no concerns about the distances involved, but the car’s reaction was, I felt, more dangerous than the situation it was trying to avoid. Anyone else had the the same unease about it?

Yes. It’s infuriating along with the rest of the nannies in this car - I wish I could shut them all off permanently. They’re a ****ing nuisance - the computer’s constantly ramming the car into Park, not letting me get up off my seat so I can look out the window or get a better view of something in the side mirror, open the door while crawling, etc. Typical “we know what you need” mentality.

It’s happened to me 3x where the AEB triggered when I was totally in control of the situation. The last time I was exiting a highway going 60+ into a weave lane with a car accelerating behind me. Luckily I was already used to it’s antics and just buried the accelerator to override the damn thing.

I've said before the TACC is WAY too sensitive to certain things (like people turning across in front of you). It likes to slam on the brakes when I personally wouldn't have even let off the accelerator if I was driving.

I have noticed twice that it seems to not like certain turning lanes. By that i mean that as you turn your car towards the turning lane, your front end is slightly pointed towards oncoming traffic. If there happens to be a car coming at that time, I've had it twice try to stop me. No alert or anything, but you just feel the car trying to lock up the brakes.

I had this behavior at first, but not so much now. Interesting.

One thing I think could be done to help: wait the extra half-second to start braking, but go ahead and light up the brake lights to warn people behind us of a pending situation. That would be one thing that an automated system could do that would actually help.

Reactions: X-pilot
Yes, the car is more sensitive than I am to dynamic situations, but I'm not surprised. There's a whole spectrum of drivers, some good, some not so good. I look at these systems as lowest common denominator systems. If you're a good attentive driver, you may find the car's actions intrusive, as I do; but, if you're a less attentive drier, you may find the car's actions life-saving.

Hopefully, as these systems evolve, they gain intelligence and become more a benefit than a hindrance. Unfortunately, we have to put up with the growing pains.

I usually have my foot on the accelerator, lightly. When these sudden decelerations happen, the sudden slowing actually forces my foot down, and negates the deceleration almost instantly.