Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ener 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has not publicly shared what vendor's batteries they use or have evaluated. I recall they made some mention along the lines of "researching all sorts of stuff", but nothing specific. I think they said that the batteries they have been using in the Roadster are "Asian sourced", but that is about it.

Prismatic batteries? Like Kokam? I know some guys in Miami who race with prismatic batteries. I think I recall them telling me that the cells were too delicate because they are thin and bendable.

I'm sure Tesla has an army of engineers fixed on task of finding the best battery. Tesla is not a highly established company so I'm sure they're open to new tech. Since they haven't invested huge sums of money and time (they've only made one car so far) into any specific battery type and/or format, that means switching to something different - and better! - wouldn't cost 'em a dime extra because they don't much old technology to scrap in the first place.

It costs GM a fortune to change over to new technology because that means everything has to be converted. Tesla is a new slate. I'm sure they're experimenting with everything.