Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus has created their own heat pump. I'm very impressed with how quickly this company innovates. They have become the UKs 2nd largest energy retailer. They are pushing hard into all areas of the sustainable energy future.

I knew that Octopus was training heat pump installers. And I read today that they bought a UK heat pump company in 2022. The company was focused more on high end, but Octopus backing meant they could work to scale and be cheaper.

The new heat pump is a high-temperature(-capable) heat pump, which is an interesting option, but really something that should be avoided if possible due to higher running costs. But, I suppose it opens up the option of installing first and then working on internal changes later.

If you want to do something right ...

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
WTI $90/bbl
Brent $93 /bbl
NL TTF gas €36 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Lemmings in action

EU politicking, green collateral damage

USA IRA review time

Taxpayer hijacks comon in last man standing games in strategic heavy industry sectors

Carbon credit nonsense is scam, as often said before

Fossil FUD worsens, history

Gaming credits

Offshoring carbon emissions, next stop ?

Efficiency improves, evidence

Drilled storage ?

Brazil solar

Tasty moves in offshore Germany

23GW ambition offshore Brazil

I hope this can be used with orphaned gas/oil wells.

Reactions: fhteagle and iPlug
*** I am travelling this week so things may be patchy ***

WTI $92/bbl
Brent $94 /bbl
NL TTF gas €34 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Are all OPEC countries actually making their quota ? When will US fraccers bump up the rig count again ? The oil price is definitely on the higher side again.

China restocking oil

Balkan rail bypass (and road and pipeline and river and grid ...)

South Korea offshore

Chinese solar juggernaut

*** I am travelling this week so things may be patchy ***

WTI $92/bbl
Brent $95 /bbl
NL TTF gas €37 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Not us guv

Diss China = find your own cash

Iran games

USA nuclear

USA nuclear

One must wonder how much it would cost to just have the equivalent power produced via wind/solar/batteries.

My gut tells me the LCOE of the proposed recommissioning of an old nuclear site with a new reactor (even if said reactor would be a sort of SME) must be higher than the battery backed renewables option.

The last paragraph of that story also had this little tidbit:

It is not yet known how long Palisades would be allowed to operate for if it gets the go-ahead to restart. However in 2019 the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission approved Florida Power and Light's application for a 20-year subsequent licence extension for Turkey Point units 3 and 4 - pressurised water reactors which entered commercial operation in 1972 and 1973 - which was the first time the regulator had issued licences authorising reactors to operate for up to 80 years.

IDK, but like an old car that is pressed into maintaining service, the servicing costs of reactors that approach 80 years old must be astronomical.

Reactions: petit_bateau
One must wonder how much it would cost to just have the equivalent power produced via wind/solar/batteries.
According to Chris Kiefer, President of Canadians for Nuclear Energy, the ROI on nuclear is roughly 16x higher than wind water solar. That's his CANDU attitude showing for sure...

See slide at time code 13:51 in the below:

I am kind of digging what the CANDU design allows for refurb / rebuild. I'm no expert though, I'm sure there are other tradeoffs with the design. But it does look like it's working well for Ontario into their second life span rounds.

Last edited:
According to Chris Kiefer, President of Canadians for Nuclear Energy, the ROI on nuclear is roughly 16x higher than wind water solar. That's his CANDU attitude showing for sure...

See slide at time code 13:51 in the below:

I am kind of digging what the CANDU design allows for refurb / rebuild. I'm no expert though, I'm sure there are other tradeoffs with the design. But it does look like it's working well for Ontario into their second life span rounds.
As an Ontario resident for the past 33 years, lets just say there are a lot of special interests in keeping our nuclear fleet running, at any cost.

The last time I dug into this quagmire was with an auditor general’s report back in 2014ish time frame; I won’t delve into that again.

Lets just say using a metric like (for example)
the ROI on nuclear is roughly 16x higher than wind water solar
versus a metric like what Lazard puts out every year (LCOE comparisons) makes me sceptical of any business case for nuclear.

It just seems to me that the learning rate for nuclear is the opposite of any other modern technology out there.

Maybe SMRs will finally, after Lewis L. Strauss* claimed 70 years ago, produce power “too cheap to meter” 🤷‍♂️

*Only after watching the movie “Oppenheimer” did I learn of this man’s existence and his place in US political history.

versus a metric like what Lazard puts out every year (LCOE comparisons) makes me sceptical of any business case for nuclear.

Yeah I'm having trouble melding those two different opinions as well. Lazard is certainly a very informed opinion, but still, AFAICT subject to assumptions and analyst decisions that shape the data.

I'm starting to coalesce around three categories of energy generation sources:
- Ultra reliable: nuclear, coal, "big dam heroes" hydro
- Moderately reliable: fossil gas, "run of river" class hydro, solar and wind backed by pumped hydro scale storage
- Low reliability: solar, wind with less than 24 hours storage

Comparing like for like in category, I don't find nuclear to be way out of line with it's category mates. Yes nuclear and big dam hydro have big price tags up front, but generations of low marginal cost power. Coal is cheaper at the start, more expensive to fuel, and very expensive in externalities not paid for by the plant operator. So, with all the real costs baked in, nuclear stacks up to its class mates to my eye.

Again, not an academically rigorous analysis, just where my thinking is going these days. Cost is an important metric, but cost-reliability ratio is to me a more informative way to express value.

Yeah I'm having trouble melding those two different opinions as well. Lazard is certainly a very informed opinion, but still, AFAICT subject to assumptions and analyst decisions that shape the data.

I'm starting to coalesce around three categories of energy generation sources:
- Ultra reliable: nuclear, coal, "big dam heroes" hydro
- Moderately reliable: fossil gas, "run of river" class hydro, solar and wind backed by pumped hydro scale storage
- Low reliability: solar, wind with less than 24 hours storage

Comparing like for like in category, I don't find nuclear to be way out of line with it's category mates. Yes nuclear and big dam hydro have big price tags up front, but generations of low marginal cost power. Coal is cheaper at the start, more expensive to fuel, and very expensive in externalities not paid for by the plant operator. So, with all the real costs baked in, nuclear stacks up to its class mates to my eye.

Again, not an academically rigorous analysis, just where my thinking is going these days. Cost is an important metric, but cost-reliability ratio is to me a more informative way to express value.
Watching the ERCOT region continue to evolve and without obsessing at how the current regime running that area is trying to add drag to the continued implementation of renewables, tells me the market has already chosen your current “low reliability“ category.

In Ontario the planned/underway refurbishment costs for the 10 (?) reactors being refurbished continues to creep.

WTI $91/bbl
Brent $93 /bbl
NL TTF gas €37 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

(Brent WTI spread has tightened a lot)

(I've recently met a real life SMR person, so when I get back from my travels in a couple of months I will quiz them to try and get a levelised LCOE on a parri passu basis to compare with the Lazards ones, including intermittency cover)

Appealing to the fossil base (utter stupidity by the Cons)
and well said
and
and

Price of green steel, and past inaction

Tesla at 5m and USA at 2m

Will this be for real ?

Money ?

Big Chinese numbers

China in Germany - 20GWh/yr

WTI $90/bbl
Brent $94 /bbl
NL TTF gas €39 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

US hunts for offshore wind accelerator pedal

Cells are a strategic security issue, penny is dropping

UK stuffs it up, even more

I have my doubts

What an admin vortex

Last edited:
What an admin vortex

Mike Hawes, the chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), said: “[The industry’s] commitment to a zero-emission new car and van market remains unchanged.”

But he added: “Consumers need encouragement to buy more than ever”, and called for “a package of attractive incentives and measures to accelerate charging infrastructure to give consumers the confidence to switch”.

Infrastructure is the key UK issue at the moment. There is a craptonne* of money sitting on the sidelines because sites need power. Invest in speeding up power delivery to charging sites and things would be happening way faster.

* metric crapton

Renewables, meanwhile, make up just 15% of total energy use of which more than half is biomass, aka wood, and have already been wholly discredited, including by some UK Tory ministers and The Times. Wind, solar and nuclear make up most of the remainder with no prospect of these being increased anything like significantly enough. As for ‘carbon markets’, following numerous negative reports, these are now so discredited most related investments need to be considered as ‘junk’ according to a recent analysis by Corporate Accountability. Rishi Sunak’s claim the UK leads on ‘the road to net-zero’ relies heavily, incidentally, on biomass and carbon credits.

The IPCC’s AR6 report also still includes wildly unrealistic allowances for both renewables and carbon dioxide removal in their projections. This allowed Fatih Birol, an energy economist and chair of the International Energy Agency (IEA) to point enthusiastically — in September 2023 — to the possible tripling of renewables by 2030. He acknowledges this ‘staggering growth’ has no significant impact on greenhouse gas emissions which also continue to grow, but this does not prevent Fiona Harvey in the Guardian reporting this ‘brightens the prospects of staying within 1.5C’. The climate scientist Bill McGuire sums up this analysis succinctly as, ‘madness’.

The anti-renewable rhetoric from the Alberta government continues.
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced the national ad campaign on Sept. 28, railing against the federal government’s “disastrous energy regulations” that served “narrow ideological interests.”
The draft clean energy regulations that Smith and her government are protesting were released by Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault in August, and meant to guide Canada’s energy grid to netzero by 2035.

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau
More proof of regulatory capture in Alberta (where renewables have been shut down while “solution’s“ are found to deal with end of life issues).

The AER now estimates conventional oil and gas closure liabilities at around $60-billion (double its 2018 official estimate), but it holds less than $295-million in security as of July, 2023.

(Paywalled)