Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough Superchargers for Christmas? with info from Thanksgiving?

Enough Superchargers for Christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my first long road trip from Kansas to Southern Florida last weekend. 1700 miles, two days. no problem with charging, little more people charging in Florida, but so many times i was the only car charging when i arrived. charged 10 times total and once the SC was full after i started charging.

Kettleman City (along the I-5 in California), even with all 40 stalls operational, was full on Saturday 2018-12-22 afternoon. There was a queue of about 6 cars, but thanks to the high throughput, my wait time was only several minutes long.

Every other time I stopped here, there were fewer than 10 stalls occupied; I was not expecting a facility of this size to reach anywhere near its capacity this early in the game.
This is exactly why I drove down on Friday instead of Saturday. I drove from LA back to SF on Wednesday, 12/26 and when I got to Kettleman around 1pm there was only 6 stalls available. Definitely the most I've ever seen.

Bad experiences again yesterday on the I8 from Phoenix to San Diego. 30kw max charge rate at Gila Bend with only half the stalls working. 30kw max again in Yuma with a 15 minute wait. SD stations like Qualcomm were full as usual, luckily didn’t need them.

Wife said next time we’re taking the ICE! :(

Over Thanksgiving I drove Chicago-Atlanta round trip(1,500 miles), and over Christmas I drove Chicago-Breckenridge round trip(2,200 miles). During both trips I used exclusively 120kw superchargers, and in most cases there were 1-3 120kw superchargers between each of my scheduled stops. I have never had to wait for a charge, and in most cases there were 1-2 cars including myself.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Not hard to see the issue here. CA and the few other Tesla-heavy areas need a lot more SC. They need to be accessible and secure at all times.

IMO Tesla should roll a deal with one of the gas/convenience store chains and put in SC at every location. They could put 2-4 bays in easily at most locations. Surely some of these places see the writing on the wall.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I've driven from Nashville to Tarrytown, NY over the last 2 days. Charged at maybe 8 different locations, while none were empty, none were more than half full. And I had kind of forgotten about destination chargers - but the hotel I normally stay at half way had a bunch of them - a lifesaver! I highly recommend the Best Western Plus at Hunt Ridge in Lexington, VA.

By the way, the supercharger at Strasburg, VA has the best view!

IMG_0596.JPG

Oh, and in regard to what lotusland mentioned, it looks like Sheetz is wise to this - the charger in Carlyle, PA is at a Sheetz, and I've heard of other ones at their stores.

Let me offer perspective...

I drove from Calgary to Winnipeg. Zero superchargers and a total of 10 hours waiting during destination charging, plus overnight at a hotel in Caronport with a destination charger. That’s about 750 miles down the only major highway in Canada. Waiting an hour for a supercharger is nothing.

I’ve driven this route a few times, and I do have the option of driving ICE, but even with the extra time, the Tesla is still better.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA