TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Envision Solar - EV ARC - Mobile solar powered charging station

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by tigerade, Sep 7, 2013.

1. tigerade

tigerade Member

It doesn't look like this has been posted yet, and it's too cool to not post about. It's a mobile solar powered charging station, with energy storage. This is apparently new, so I'm not sure if it's actually been installed anywhere yet. I see something like being useful for far-away, remote areas, events, festivals, etc. Think of things that only last a few days where you'd want something like this to be around, and you could install it/uninstall it very quickly. It's a neat idea.

EV Charging Gets Another Solar Powered Solution | EarthTechling

EV ARCâ„¢ | Solar Panels for Business | Commercial Solar Panels by Envision Solar

2. Tyl

Tyl Member

Invisioning a SolarchargingSUPERstation!! Well.... Here it is! Pictures!!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Nice idea, but...

I'm 0 for 2 on sites and 0 for 4 in tries in Boulder, CO. I have tried them; the J1772 signals 16 Amps available; charging starts; then within a minute, it faults out and stops. Like I said, a nice idea, but I have yet to see it work in multiple tries!

4. Cyberax

Cyberax Member

Do the math. These solar panels will provide only about 2kW power for each car. During the peak daylight.

It's not going to work.

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

It should work, but...

Those bases have a nice set of batteries for storing the energy gathered while the sun shines. With the reported 16 Amps at 240 Volts, they should be able to deliver about 3.84 kW to a car from the energy stored in the batteries. OTOH, as I said above, I am 0 for 4 attempts at 2 different sites. Not a good indication.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Neat idea! For someone like me living in a condo without a real way of charging my car, this would be perfect!

7. MITE46

MITE46 Member

I wonder what was wrong...I would imagine they would have some sort of remote monitoring capability to track failed sessions...bad first experience, not good.