Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 5 months my Tesla Energy installation finally seems to be fully working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 4.8 kW of solar panels and 2 Powerwalls installed back in March, supplementing the 7.9 kW I've had for over 10 years.
I've had two issues with this system, one major and one minor.

MAJOR:
Since installation I had frequent inverter shutdowns typically lasting 30 minutes. These would occur from 1 to 4 times a day, rarely a day would go by without at least one. These were costing me 10% - 30% of the savings I should have been seeing. At one point the inverter fully failed until Tesla made a service call (5 weeks later). They got it going again, but the frequent outages continued.

Many chats with Tesla and eventually they told me they thought it could be solved with a firmware update. I was not notified when it happened, but as of about a week ago the outages have completely stopped. I assume that they finally found the problem and downloaded an update. 5 months after installation is pretty poor service, but I'm glad it finally seems to be fixed.

MINOR:

The Tesla app has continually reported power and energy both about 25% high. When my meter would show that about 70 kWh was generated in a day, the Tesla app would show 95 kWh. My system should max out at about 10 kW at noon, but the app showed nearly 13 kW.

A chat with Tesla a couple of days ago, and today suddenly my app is reading correctly. In fact all previous days have been shifted down to the correct values.

This was an easy one, and really not a big deal. It didn't affect my energy generation or cost me money, but it prevented me from accurately monitoring my system. The attached image shows the same day as displayed yesterday and as displayed today.

Attachments

• 1691693581438.png
    1691693581438.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 83
I'm glad you got these issues resolved. They seem quite common actually, based on forum reports. Especially the reporting issues, usually caused by CT installation or software setup issues. I suspect your Tesla solar system generation was double-counted. It might not a be benign issue actually, because it likely also resulted in incorrect home consumption reporting and suboptimal Powerwall behavior.

I had 4.8 kW of solar panels and 2 Powerwalls installed back in March, supplementing the 7.9 kW I've had for over 10 years.
I've had two issues with this system, one major and one minor.

MAJOR:
Since installation I had frequent inverter shutdowns typically lasting 30 minutes. These would occur from 1 to 4 times a day, rarely a day would go by without at least one. These were costing me 10% - 30% of the savings I should have been seeing. At one point the inverter fully failed until Tesla made a service call (5 weeks later). They got it going again, but the frequent outages continued.

Many chats with Tesla and eventually they told me they thought it could be solved with a firmware update. I was not notified when it happened, but as of about a week ago the outages have completely stopped. I assume that they finally found the problem and downloaded an update. 5 months after installation is pretty poor service, but I'm glad it finally seems to be fixed.

MINOR:

The Tesla app has continually reported power and energy both about 25% high. When my meter would show that about 70 kWh was generated in a day, the Tesla app would show 95 kWh. My system should max out at about 10 kW at noon, but the app showed nearly 13 kW.

A chat with Tesla a couple of days ago, and today suddenly my app is reading correctly. In fact all previous days have been shifted down to the correct values.

This was an easy one, and really not a big deal. It didn't affect my energy generation or cost me money, but it prevented me from accurately monitoring my system. The attached image shows the same day as displayed yesterday and as displayed today.
Update: Tesla claims that they did not download a new firmware. So I don't know why the inverter shutdowns stopped, and now I'm a little nervous that the problem will come back. Fingers crossed!