Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error codes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got these codes a few days ago and now car runs like a normal gas car...error messages are bms_u008, bms_w172 and dl_w039. Have appt set for Sept, but wanted to know if other tesla owners experienced these codes and it was a cut and dry main battery failure or water pump failure...obviously out of warranty...Thanks!!!

2016 X P90D
alerts: BMS_w035 BMS_u008 BMS_w172

Nov 18: Got intermittent BMS_w035 "Vehicle may not restart, Service is required" alert during 45 minute drive. Would stay on for a minute or two then disappear for 5-10 minutes.

Nov 19: The BMS_w035 code and alert cleared and did not reappear.

Nov 20: BMS_u008 "Acceleration and top speed reduced, Performance may be restored on next drive" and BMS_w172 "Vehicle may not restart, Service is required" alerts appeared during a short drive. Regenerative braking did not work, hill assist seemed to be inoperative (at least whilst reversing from a steep parking space). Two-pedal driving in the X is uncomfortable at best. Terrifying in certain situations. Didn't realize how accustomed I was to instant deceleration upon lifting foot off accelerator.

Called Tesla SC and asked whether it was safe to drive 90+ miles to SC. They advised to not use autopilot. Battery consumption on the trip seemed extremely high. Left fully charged (225 mi) and arrived with 66 mi remaining. Granted, most of the drive was 70+ mph. Someone will know better than me whether the battery consumption was high.

Tesla reports that the issue is the rear drive unit. 1-2 weeks to repair.

Will update.

Attachments

• PXL_20211121_015711102.jpg
    PXL_20211121_015711102.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 5,848
Picked up X from Tesla SC Bakersfield today. They replaced the rear drive unit (RDU). It drives like a dream. They said the issue with the RDU they removed was electrical in nature, but I would swear the new motor feels smoother.

If you see that BMS_u008 and BMS_w172, get it to the service center. It's not something you can fix with a reset.

I just got the BMS_w035 error code. It looks like this is indicative of a few things. The worst being the drive unit being replaced. I am out of normal warranty but still have the battery/drive unit warranty in effect. This should be covered, correct?

We got the same BMS_w035 error one time a week ago, and now again today. The soonest SC appt is 2/21 so I’m not hopeful it’ll last than long given others’ reports of how quickly things seem to deteriorate.

Sounds like HV battery heater, HV battery, and drive unit are the most common failures reported.
Definitely hoping it’s something covered by the battery/drive unit warranty!

MS Late 2016 (91k mi, AP3 & MCU2 upgraded)

We got the same BMS_w035 error one time a week ago, and now again today. The soonest SC appt is 2/21 so I’m not hopeful it’ll last than long given others’ reports of how quickly things seem to deteriorate.

Sounds like HV battery heater, HV battery, and drive unit are the most common failures reported.
Definitely hoping it’s something covered by the battery/drive unit warranty!

MS Late 2016 (91k mi, AP3 & MCU2 upgraded)
I had the bms_w035 error and it turned out to be the battery heater which they replaced for $685. It took two visits, the first time they couldn't get it to fail. It failed again later with the same error and that's when they replaced it. YMMV.