Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU likely to impose 25% import tariff's on cars from China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it gives Tesla an incentive to move Model 3 production for Europe to Berlin then that's probably a good thing, and is why they built the facility in the first place. A blip in costs for maybe a couple of years while the facility is built.

I am a bit surprised by how rigid Teslas manufacturing lines are, I did the tour of the Mini plant in Oxford and they were running LHD, RHD, Petrol, Electric, different body styles etc down the same assembly line. Every car was different. I think a new car rolled off the end every 45 seconds. For anyone in the area it is a fascinating tour.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I am a bit surprised by how rigid Teslas manufacturing lines are, I did the tour of the Mini plant in Oxford and they were running LHD, RHD, Petrol, Electric, different body styles etc down the same assembly line. Every car was different
It’s basically how all manufacturers using a variation of Toyota’s production model operate but Tesla can build faster and cheaper by limiting options and building in batches based on what is available not what has been ordered.

If it gives Tesla an incentive to move Model 3 production for Europe to Berlin then that's probably a good thing, and is why they built the facility in the first place. A blip in costs for maybe a couple of years while the facility is built.

I am a bit surprised by how rigid Teslas manufacturing lines are, I did the tour of the Mini plant in Oxford and they were running LHD, RHD, Petrol, Electric, different body styles etc down the same assembly line. Every car was different. I think a new car rolled off the end every 45 seconds. For anyone in the area it is a fascinating tour.
This is generally the norm for modern automotive platforms; Tesla optimise for simplicity, not customer options to achieve supposedly greater economies of scale.

The problem the flexi lines have is the JIT nature of parts availability; you can block the line very easily with the most ridiculously pointless stockouts. Any stoppage rapidly starts to cost more than the value of the combined platform approach to building vehicles. It's this that Tesla is trying to avoid.