Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSE died after 7years and 23MWh. Low cost dumb EVSE replacement recommendations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another vote for the Tesla wall connector. I had a Rolec dumb charger that died. You can't buy a new dumb charger now but you can buy a used one and install that. Also the PEN protection is insisted upon even if a replacement for a dumb charger.

Tesla one shows up in the app and you can set max charge rate. It's also so good just having the button on the charge handle to open the charge flap instead of farting about with the app.

I have it set to charge all the time apart from peak time and have no schedules on the car. That's got rid of the annoying half speed charging issue the car had as well.

You can make any smart charger dumb by changing your wifi password anyway.
You can just touch charger flap door (if car unlocked) and it opens the door... But yeah, you need fiddle with app to unlock cable.

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. A new gen 3 Tesla wall charger arrived today. Now I just need a day where it isn’t raining non-stop…..

House is already fitted with an earth rod as part of last Octobers Powerwall install. So three connections to the base plate and it should be good to go.

Should be a Pen Fault detection device rather than an earth rod to meet current wiring regulations.

Even if you decide to ignore that, is the PowerWall earth rod near where the car is parked ? and definitely connected to this earth you are using not on some other side of the PowerWall.

Be careful with Electickery.

Reactions: Roger20
If true (and I am not doubting you) then I hope both our Gen2 Tesla Wall Connectors remain working for a long time. I do not want "smart" internet connected ones.
Out of interest, @KennethS did you set these up with the internal ‘master/slave’ so that they don’t both max out at the same time?
I have one Gen2 and also a 3rd party ‘Easy Wallbox’ that’s hobbled to 2.4kW.
It’s always been on my to-do list to swap out my non-Tesla charger for another Gen2 and hardwire the power limiter between the two.

Good point - the button would be a bonus. And the Gen 3 wall connector is relatively good value and woudl integrate with the existing Tesla app used by the car.

One potential issue is a lack of a dedicated earth rod and DC leakage detection (neither of which were in the regs in 2016) - could I just slot in a replacement unit without having to bring it up to current spec ?

I wouldn't bother with the Tesla chargers if you are looking for a cheap dumb chargers as you will need a PEN unit for this and it just adds to the costs, you can buy a charger and then get an electrician to install and test it. There are chargers that will work in dumb mode and don't have to be connected online all the time, I hate the smart functions as just another thing to go wrong which has for me

Out of interest, @KennethS did you set these up with the internal ‘master/slave’ so that they don’t both max out at the same time?
I have one Gen2 and also a 3rd party ‘Easy Wallbox’ that’s hobbled to 2.4kW.
It’s always been on my to-do list to swap out my non-Tesla charger for another Gen2 and hardwire the power limiter between the two.
Yes they are tethered for load sharing which works well. The circuit they are on is fed by only a 40amp breaker so it was necessary to ensure both can be used simultaneously and stay within the limit.

Reactions: thax1
Build your own. My pod point failed, and I swapped the controller for this one. I thought they were more complicated than that, but this, a contactor and RCB is just about it.
EVSE Protocol Controller Tethered 16A/32A
Eaton has one too now. Plugs directly in like a breaker. Charge cord through panelboard knockout directly to this. Very neat if parking is close enough.
1709923155325.png
1709923435723.jpeg