Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Export Model 3 from Germany and VAT Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to purchase Model 3 in Germany, however I live in Ukraine and need to export it.
I'm going to fly to Berlin for pick up and then drive home.
And the question is: how to properly prepare documents for VAT refund, because Tesla representatives are avoiding answering it at all, nor by email neither by phone.
If I'll go to customs office myself and fill export declaration and then import and register the car in Ukraine will it be enough and who will ultimately refund the VAT - Tesla, or german government?

I'm going to purchase Model 3 in Germany, however I live in Ukraine and need to export it.
And the question is: how to properly prepare documents for VAT refund, because Tesla representatives are avoiding answering it at all, nor by email neither by phone.
If I'll go to customs office myself and fill export declaration and then import and register the car in Ukraine will it be enough and who will ultimately refund the VAT - Tesla, or german government?

AFAIK Governments don't pay VAT back to non-national companies. At least I've never heard of that.

Usually if you have a company in the Ukraine with a valid EU-VAT then Tesla shouldn't charge you any VAT.
They should have given you an invoice that says 'VAT Shifted' (in those exact words, something like VAT 0% is not good enough).

I run a business in Netherlands. If I send an invoice to someone living in Belgium for example, and has a valid VAT number I don't add VAT to the invoice. My invoice says 'VAT shifted' and the customer's VAT number must be mentioned on the invoice.

If Tesla doesn't want to do it maybe it's best to find a company that wants to help you. Eg. someone in Germany buying the car from Tesla for you, and then sell the car to you. The German company can send you a proper invoice (with VAT shifted) and the German company can request the VAT back from the German government.

If Tesla doesn't want to do it maybe it's best to find a company that wants to help you. Eg. someone in Germany buying the car from Tesla for you, and then sell the car to you. The German company can send you a proper invoice (with VAT shifted) and the German company can request the VAT back from the German government.

Actually this is what I did in the end: found a German company and ordered the car using them as a man in a middle.

Reactions: Tozz
Hey, I would like to know how did you deal with this problem. Because I am having the same issue right now. I want to buy a Tesla in Berlin and export it, but Tesla’s workers are avoiding answering questions related to VAT, it would be very good if you can tell where and how did you get the VAT from.