Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Wheel studs 2017 Rear Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am installing plaid wheels on my 2017 standard suspension model S and I have to install the extended studs. I got to the fronts done over the weekend, but I was unable to get to the rears due to time constraints, but I did get as far as removing the rear brakes and disc brake. When I did the fronts, there was plenty of space to take out the stud and put the new one in, but in the rear everything looks more tight.

Question is, do I need to remove the entire hub from the car to be able to install these new studs or is there enough space to get the old stud out and the new longer one in?

I'll come back and take pictures of everything once I'm done but I don't want to dive in and make a mess out of everything without having the right information. thanks!

For anyone wondering, I was able to change my wheel lug studs to the extended ones in the front and the back without having to remove the hub. I was required to do this to install 2021+ refresh model S wheels on my 2017 model S.

The front is very simple;
1. Remove the wheel
2. Remove the Brake Caliper
3. Remove the Brake Disc
4. Remove the stud and install new extended lug.
5. Put everything back in together :)

the Rear is where I had a tiny bit of an issue and I thought I would have to remove the entire hub. Alas, removing the dust shield proved enough to complete the job.

The rear goes as follows;
1. Remove the wheel
2. Remove the Brake Caliper
3. Remove the Brake Disc
4. Remove the dust shield
5. remove and install the new Extended Lug.
6. Put everything back together.

I'm attaching some pictures of the rear for reference. I did not take pictures of the entire job. it looks me more or less 8 hours to complete. That's only because your boy doesn't have all the tools and many trips to AutoZone were required.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 10
Where did you get the longer studs from? how much longer are they?
its these. I honestly didn't measure the length to compare them to the OEM size. I can say I was able to get about 10 full turns with the 15mm spacers so i know they are definitely long.

Dorman 610-490 M14-1.5 Serrated Wheel Stud - 15.7mm Knurl, 69.75mm Length Compatible with Select Ford Models, 10 Pack​

Reactions: S-ALSET