Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior sound effects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you are talking about the pedestrian warning speakers, and those were added at some point in 2019).

Pedestrian Warning System​

The Pedestrian Warning System (if equipped) causes Model 3 to emit sound when driving below approximately 19 mph (32 km/h) or while driving in reverse. Electric vehicles operate quietly and this sound helps to alert pedestrians of your oncoming vehicle. The sound, which activates whenever Model 3 is shifted out of Park, gets louder as speed increases.
Note
The Pedestrian Warning System may not be available in vehicles manufactured prior to approximately September 1, 2019.
Warning
If sound cannot be heard, pedestrians may not be aware of your oncoming vehicle, which may increase the likelihood of a collision resulting in serious injury or death. If the Pedestrian Warning System is not operating, immediately contact Tesla.

I see that, but how do you activate the sound - the Owners Manual doesn't say.
You can't, it's automatically on. The "flying saucer" sound only sounds in reverse as another mentioned. The sound when you go forward is a different much quieter sound (but is still there, if you are in a quiet place you can hear it).

Tesla used to let you customize the sound while driving, using the Boombox function (which is still there):
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

However, NHTSA forced them to change it so it only works while parked.
Tesla Recall Disables Boombox Feature - Consumer Reports

Mine only has sound when in reverse.
You can't, it's automatically on. The "flying saucer" sound only sounds in reverse as another mentioned. The sound when you go forward is a different much quieter sound (but is still there, if you are in a quiet place you can hear it).
Thanks for answering. My own model 3 is a 2018 so I dont have a pedestrian speaker. My car is silent when backing up, or moving forward.

I remember when they added these, and people lost their proverbial minds complaining about it here, then a year or so later, there were threads complaining that older cars like mine didnt have it, and "how can I add it to my car?!?!?!!?"

Reactions: Lindenwood