Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sound . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I was reviewing the information about the sounds our cars make. Most obvious is the UFO whine in reverse. However, the sound the car is supposed to make when moving forward, I’m not hearing it! Recently we were very carefully driving into a parking lot full of people aimlessly walking, most with their face buried in a phone. These dumbasses were oblivious. It was lime a herd of zombies. A mass murderer could have had a wonderful time! We had actually stopped and people walked into the car. So whatever sounds were supposed to be made were way below what was required. My wife refused to use the horn to wake them up. I wish I had a video . . . When pulling into the garage there are distinct sounds related to HVAC and whatever else the car needs to be doing, but its still not “noisy” like an ICE car. What sound is the car supposed to be making?

I have a 2020 Model Y and it doesn't make any non-mechanical noises. I like it that way.

You need to get a USB memory device and hit that Sentry button! I have hours of recordings of people being idiots on the road. Every few months I go through them and get myself good and furious again :D

Recently I was reviewing the information about the sounds our cars make. Most obvious is the UFO whine in reverse. However, the sound the car is supposed to make when moving forward, I’m not hearing it! Recently we were very carefully driving into a parking lot full of people aimlessly walking, most with their face buried in a phone. These dumbasses were oblivious. It was lime a herd of zombies. A mass murderer could have had a wonderful time! We had actually stopped and people walked into the car. So whatever sounds were supposed to be made were way below what was required. My wife refused to use the horn to wake them up. I wish I had a video . . . When pulling into the garage there are distinct sounds related to HVAC and whatever else the car needs to be doing, but its still not “noisy” like an ICE car. What sound is the car supposed to be making?
I can't speak for the USA but in the EU (and I believe the UK) PWS (Pedestrian Warning System) at sometime previously became an expectation and then a legal requirement for EVs over the summer of 2021. That's led to a hodgepodge of EV makers programming various PWS sounds, some with wow factor, some with plain meh. My Renault Zoé for example, when moving forward sounds like a robot with a serious metallic waw waw getting louder as it accelerates from a stop (sound is automatically switched off at about 28 kph/18 mph); it makes little or no sound in reverse. Up until mid 2021 you could switch PWS off, after that it was supposed to be permanently on, certainly in the EU.

Tesla seem to have implemented a variation on all that. Doesn't it come from the boombox? Those manufactured before 2021 or so I think don't have it at all (thanks for the correction if I got that wrong). My M3, a 2021 LR MiC was manufactured around July 2021 and makes that crazy sound you mention in reverse but nothing moving forward @< 28 kph. Duh.

Perso I don't believe in PWS for EVs, it's stupid since there are many new cars, SUVs etc around now that can be as quiet as an EV, particularly for people who are hard of hearing or poor sighted. All these cars make AC (HVAC) noise though. There is though a lot of polemic and misunderstanding around the subject depending on your point of view.

These comments are my opinion only though (without any prejudice to anyone anywhere intended) and I respect the law. I find that people using 'phones, amongst others are, like you say, lacking caution and common sense, as one should have when walking in a carpark or crossing a road. So I am always particularly careful driving any of my EV or ICE cars around in pedestrian likely areas.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood