Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do Teslas make that sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do Teslas make that sound?that Tesla call tesla pedestrian warning system!my neighbor everyday morning 4:00 am go to work I heard it every time,not complaining,but still bothering a little bit,Is that law required? Why other Ev not has that? And by the way that is one more reason I keep my MS ,no any sound at all! And never hit any disabled people (blind or deaf )because you have back camera on all time ,not necessarily make that terrible sound !

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude
A little more to this than I knew.

Background​

As a result of increased sales of full electric vehicle and hybrid electric vehicles in several countries, some members of the blind community have raised concerns about the noise reduction when those vehicles operate in all-electric mode, as blind people or the visually impaired consider the noise of combustion engines a helpful aid while crossing streets and think quiet hybrids could pose an unexpected hazard.[8] Although a 2009 study found no statistically significant difference in pedestrian crashes involving quiet hybrid vehicles when compared to noisier vehicles when both types of vehicles were travelling in a straight line, it found a doubling of hybrid vehicle pedestrian crashes when reversing or parking etc. at slow speeds.[9]

This problem is not exclusive to electric vehicles. In 2007 research at the Technical University Munich showed that ordinary vehicles in background noise are often detected too late for safe accident avoidance. The researchers measured the distance at which vehicles approaching pedestrians became audible with minimal background noise. These distances were then compared to the stopping distances of the respective cars and an algorithm was proposed to estimate them based on auditory masking.[10][11]

Tesla​

Tesla, Inc. introduced a Pedestrian Warning System feature in September 2019[73] that emits warning sounds when the vehicle is traveling below 19mph/32km/h.[74] In 2021 Tesla announced plans to retrofit the system onto select older Model 3 and Model Y vehicles from 2019.[75] The feature is currently available on all Tesla models: Tesla Model S,[74] Tesla Model 3,[76] Tesla Model X,[77] and Tesla Model Y.[78]

Criticism and controversy​

Several anti-noise and electric car advocates have opposed the introduction of artificial sounds as warning for pedestrians, as they argue that the proposed system will only increase noise pollution. They also opposed U.S. pending legislation that would require generated warning sounds with no off switch for the driver.[82]

Robert S. Wall Emerson of Western Michigan University has argued that several high-end gasoline-powered luxury cars are already quieter than hybrids, and according to his most recent studies, hybrid SUVs were noisier than many internal-combustion vehicles. He concludes that pedestrian safety is not a hybrid issue but rather "a quiet car issue."[13]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Yes, unfortunately EV's tend to be *much* noisier than just about any other modern mid-size when reversing, and Tesla might be the very loudest EV on the market. The updated Model 3 now has multiple speakers front and rear to generate sound with more directionality and hopefully they will use this as an opportunity to lower the volume without compromising pedestrian safety.

Funny bit of trivia: When Tesla added this feature in 2019, it wasn't uncommon for people to just reach up in there and unplug the noise maker. Tesla responded by adding the "Boombox" toy which let you do all sorts of fun things with the speaker like play the Knight Rider theme song, or add farts to your horn, or even yell at people via the interior microphone. The NHTSA immediately investigated and concluded that the "extra sound" made the car dangerously "silent", so they issued a recall for every Tesla built since 2019.

Now that I think of it, that might have been the day Elon cracked.

Reactions: Yuki Feng
I have a 2023 Model Y that doesn't seem to make any noise moving forward at slow speeds. My street is like a country road with no sidewalks, but a great deal of foot traffic as it is a gateway to a local park. I'm often nervous passing pedestrians on this street as some will cross in front of me without looking.
This causes me to wonder if there is a way to turn on sound during forward motion. I can hear the sound while backing up.