Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a BMW M3 Lime Rock before the Model 3.

The BMW M3 looked much cooler than Tesla Model 3, especially in fire orange, but it wasn't my favorite car as a commuter car. Plus it was hard to drive that car at legal speed limit, gas cars always tempt you to drive fast, so I've been pulled over a few times. And also got me a red light camera ticket ticket b/c it lagged when I tried to accelerate at the yellow. If I had the Model 3, the instant torque could have helped avoid a red light ticket and possibly not create that lag the M3 did to me.

But with the Tesla Model 3, I did get pulled over 5-10 minutes after delivery, but I got off with a warning. Mainly because I was trying its acceleration, but maybe the cop noticed I never went above the speed limit. Also because the Model 3 doesn't look as aggressive as a BMW M3, so it may have helped.

The Tesla Model 3 would be easier to keep at legal speed limits on empty freeways because you can just engage autopilot and set it at a legal speed so you don't have to worry about "not realizing how fast you were going", thus save on potential speeding tickets. Also the Model 3 is the only car that feels comfortable to drive as a commuter car, but also has sporty performance if you wanna accelerate fast. It's like owning a commuter car that can also be a sports car. I much prefer Tesla's performance over the BMW M3.

If you do normal commuting like 20-60 min each way, you never have to stop somewhere in public for gas. Your garage will be your fueling station, and since your car is gonna be in the garage, might as well use that time to fuel up then not fuel up. Even if it is technically slower, all cars gonna be in a garage at some point, its alot better than a crowded gas station.

BMW probably has nicer interior though, that's about it. It's something I wish Tesla would consider, to have that posh luxury lounge / nightclub interior of Mercedes or BMW.

Even though the M3 looks cooler to bring to a car meet up, I still like Tesla Model 3 better, even if its a normal looking car. I think car guys who just like gas based sports cars are just living in the past. They just want a loud car, not a fast car.

upload_2019-12-5_1-30-8.png

Last edited:
You got tickets bc it's Fire Orange lol. That color is just as loud as the S65 under the hood haha. I agree with you on all points. I also had a S85 V10 E60 M5 and despite the cool F1 engine sounds that thing made, the 12mpgs was killer on the gas budget haha. Not to mention the exorbiriant maintenance that was required. God, I do not miss that car.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
You got tickets bc it's Fire Orange lol. That color is just as loud as the S65 under the hood haha. I agree with you on all points. I also had a S85 V10 E60 M5 and despite the cool F1 engine sounds that thing made, the 12mpgs was killer on the gas budget haha. Not to mention the exorbiriant maintenance that was required. God, I do not miss that car.

Well, I at least seen cops follow me around a few times when I owned this car, even if I didn't get a ticket. One time, I went in this canyon like road, probably very popular spot for car enthusiasts, and at the bottom of the hill there was a cop trying to catch me. The cop car followed me for a good 10-20 seconds, but then turned around. Maybe his radar caught me at a legal speed, but the cop still tried to intimidate me, like he's watching me.

Another time, some cop car seem to have been following me for 5 minutes on a freeway, and once I got up to 90, the cop car flashed his lights. But he was following me like the entire time. He didn't give me a ticket though, but still pulled me over.

I haven't had to do any major maintenance for the Tesla Model 3, and it's almost been a year since ownership. I may have 13-15k miles on it. That M3 sucked up gas too, which means more downtime having to look for cheap gas stations. M3 can't refuel in a garage like a Tesla.

Well, I at least seen cops follow me around a few times when I owned this car, even if I didn't get a ticket. One time, I went in this canyon like road, probably very popular spot for car enthusiasts, and at the bottom of the hill there was a cop trying to catch me. The cop car followed me for a good 10-20 seconds, but then turned around. Maybe his radar caught me at a legal speed, but the cop still tried to intimidate me, like he's watching me.

Another time, some cop car seem to have been following me for 5 minutes on a freeway, and once I got up to 90, the cop car flashed his lights. But he was following me like the entire time. He didn't give me a ticket though, but still pulled me over.

I haven't had to do any major maintenance for the Tesla Model 3, and it's almost been a year since ownership. I may have 13-15k miles on it. That M3 sucked up gas too, which means more downtime having to look for cheap gas stations. M3 can't refuel in a garage like a Tesla.

I bet you those cops were just checking out your car. I have a Laguna Seca Blue and an Imola Red. Not exactly subtle colors and I always catch people checking it out. Its all good, that's why I dig those colors. A lot of cops are car guys and its rare to see a Fire Orange anything on the road. I also can't believe you tried to commute in a car designed for the track. It must have been hard on your back! hahah

Owned all versions from E28 M5 > F10 M5 and now in the Model 3 SR+. The Tesla has exceeded my expectations. Nothing would compel me to go back to BMW at this time. Drove the F90 M5 as the natural progession and while it was fast and handled great, it just felt like a boring rehash of outdated technology. As for build quality, the black paint is beautiful and interior finishing is fine.

IMG_0492.jpg A42C3546-B844-4161-B2EE-E0ACF7C425B8.JPG

Reactions: M3FNATIK

Wait, you accelerated to 90 with a cop on your tail, and were surprised to see the flashing lights?!?!?
Really?

Maybe, that was not entirely the car's fault.
:D

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3
I used to have a BMW M3 Lime Rock before the Model 3.

The BMW M3 looked much cooler than Tesla Model 3, especially in fire orange, but it wasn't my favorite car as a commuter car. Plus it was hard to drive that car at legal speed limit, gas cars always tempt you to drive fast, so I've been pulled over a few times. And also got me a red light camera ticket ticket b/c it lagged when I tried to accelerate at the yellow. If I had the Model 3, the instant torque could have helped avoid a red light ticket and possibly not create that lag the M3 did to me.

But with the Tesla Model 3, I did get pulled over 5-10 minutes after delivery, but I got off with a warning. Mainly because I was trying its acceleration, but maybe the cop noticed I never went above the speed limit. Also because the Model 3 doesn't look as aggressive as a BMW M3, so it may have helped.

The Tesla Model 3 would be easier to keep at legal speed limits on empty freeways because you can just engage autopilot and set it at a legal speed so you don't have to worry about "not realizing how fast you were going", thus save on potential speeding tickets. Also the Model 3 is the only car that feels comfortable to drive as a commuter car, but also has sporty performance if you wanna accelerate fast. It's like owning a commuter car that can also be a sports car. I much prefer Tesla's performance over the BMW M3.

If you do normal commuting like 20-60 min each way, you never have to stop somewhere in public for gas. Your garage will be your fueling station, and since your car is gonna be in the garage, might as well use that time to fuel up then not fuel up. Even if it is technically slower, all cars gonna be in a garage at some point, its alot better than a crowded gas station.

BMW probably has nicer interior though, that's about it. It's something I wish Tesla would consider, to have that posh luxury lounge / nightclub interior of Mercedes or BMW.

Even though the M3 looks cooler to bring to a car meet up, I still like Tesla Model 3 better, even if its a normal looking car. I think car guys who just like gas based sports cars are just living in the past. They just want a loud car, not a fast car.

View attachment 484893

Comparing a bright orange cars looks to bland silver grey colored Model 3's lol

This Model 3 looks way cooler than that orange BMW

zS1aSVH.jpg

And my 3 in my avy does as well

A Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas, and a Jaguar XJ8L over the last 13 years. I have never looked back or even missed either since I got my MS.

There is no comparison between the paint and the fit and finish on the exterior or the interior regarding luxury and tolerances, the Jaguars are in a class far above any Tesla on that issue, but who cares? A Tesla is lightyears ahead of any other car I have driven. As Joe Rogen said "Every other car just seems stupid after you drive a Tesla." And they are FUN!!!!

I bet you those cops were just checking out your car. I have a Laguna Seca Blue and an Imola Red. Not exactly subtle colors and I always catch people checking it out. Its all good, that's why I dig those colors. A lot of cops are car guys and its rare to see a Fire Orange anything on the road. I also can't believe you tried to commute in a car designed for the track. It must have been hard on your back! hahah

Yeah it wasn't very pleasant for commuting or doing routine like parking. Even worse with Lamborghini Huracan, which I rented on 2-3 hour basis. I'm over driving aggressive sports cars or fantasizing about owning them. They're not the same as driving them in video games or watching them in Fast & Furious. I think its stupid when people who never driven sports cars or exotic cars think these cars will make them happy. I think exotics are much more stressful to drive, they're loud like an airplane, bad blind spots, and uncomfortable seating position.

I feel most car guys prefer to talk about Lebron James & the NBA instead of Nascar and Dale Earnhardt. I feel most car guys don't even care about racing as an discipline, they still rather talk about NFL or NBA than Nascar.

For the last 16 years our family has been driving only BMWs. We started first with the 2003 X5 (which saved my wife’s life) then moved to the 2007 X5 and then got the 2013 328xi, but now we are Tesla’s fans. We replaced the last X5 with a LR AWD Model 3. I do not think I can come up with something new to say about the Tesla (something that has not been said already) – it is an awesome car. I am a big fan of fast acceleration. I don’t drive fast but love accelerating, and my Model 3 does exactly what I love the most.

I don’t want to start comparing these 2 companies. All I can say is – the model 3 is NOT a luxury car, so do not expect to get the same level of luxury inside the cabin as you would get in most of the BMWs. Why most of the BMWs? Well you may get that chip plastic feeling inside the 3 series while the cabin of he X5 feels much nicer.

What I tell my friends and colleagues – do not test drive a Tesla unless you are prepared to order one now. The moment you test drive it, you will want to order one. That says it all.

My biggest issue with the Model 3 is the lack of heated steering wheel. C’mon Tesla, WHY? You’ve done it in the S and X with the cold package, why not in the 3? But that’s all, knock on wood (I don’t want to jinx it )

Reactions: afadeev
one thing i don't miss about BMW is the service, or lack thereof.

I feel like i've been treated like a 2nd class citizen because I look young for my age. Didn't matter if i brought in the m3 or m5 for service. I saw other bmw owners getting brand new 7's and x6's for service loaners. I always got the "sorry were out of loaner cars, so were getting you a corolla from enterprise" story.