Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ferry ride disables shift into D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a wierd experience with my Tesla M3 LR AWD. After driving onto a Ferry and moving across the river, I noticed the red marker showing the car on the map was still referring to the departing location. When the ferry arrived at the other side and they were asking cars to now exit ... the car would not shift into Drive (eventually did after repeated attemps). It appears that navigating across a body of water had confused the nav system. I courious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I don't think the items are related.

For better or worse (and who knows why) the GPS location doesn't update unless the car is in D or R (and possibly driving). Same if a car is moved on a flatbed.

Not sure why it wouldn't let you into D. Perhaps powering up after sitting for a while?

I live on the Olympic Peninsula, frequently take ferries across Puget Sound, my Model 3 occasionally fails to go into Drive (only 3 times in a year), and so I've rethought my old ICE habits of never turning on my car until the last minute. I seriously dislike all of the petrol fumes that the other vehicles are pumping into the air and never wanted to be doing so myself, so I always started my ICE at the last minute. However, putting my Model 3 into drive (and Hold) ahead of times does not exude noxious fumes, has minimal effect on battery level, and allows one time to debug the start process if necessary. My debugging process includes: Checking whether BlueTooth is disabled for any reason -- Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, Does my phone or Model 3 need a reboot. This habit also gives enough time to dig out the card key from my wallet. For those who've not yet purchased a Tesla, startup problems are few and far between, and solving them is as simple as rethinking old habits. Get in the habit of ensuring that your phone's Bluetooth system is operative ahead of time, perhaps by checking the status of Airplane mode or Do not disturb or by thinking about just how log it's been since you last re started your phone. Test your phone's ability to communicate with your car ahead of time by trying to turn on the climate control, or by flashing the lights, etc. It's fun to rethink and change old ICE habits that no longer serve.

• Helpful
Reactions: LoL Rick