Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware redeploy necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was in a minor collision with damage to the rear bumper. Looking at the invoice from the collision shop, there is one item that seems questionable to me. They are charging $98 to redeploy the firmware, which they say is necessary after replacing any electronic component. Is this really necessary? The only electronic component being replaced is one of the rear parking sensors.
Some of the other labor items also sound high, like $49 to disconnect the battery, and $310 for computer diagnostic and activating service mode. But I guess that's just par for the course with a computerized vehicle like this.

Attachments

• Tesla 3 rear bumper repair.png
    Tesla 3 rear bumper repair.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 211
I read the Tesla service manual for this procedure, and this is what it says to do at the end:
Consult the parts catalog to determine the type of parking sensor installed on the vehicle. If the vehicle is equipped with Tesla USS, run the following Toolbox 3.0 routines in the order listed:
1. TEST-RESET_PARK
2. PROC_USM_REAR_PROGRAM-USS-ADDRESSES
So it sounds like "firmware redeploy" isn't exactly the right phrase, but it does require some computer work here so that's fair.