Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Collision Center in Atlanta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my second Tesla, having had an MS60 from 2013 till I purchased a new 2020 Long Range Plus Model X in Fall of 2020. In my 11th year in a Tesla, I am committed.

But I am frustrated with Tesla body repair. I was stopped in traffic on I-75 two weeks ago and rear ended at a fairly slow speed by a young woman on her cell phone which knocked me into a stopped care in front of me. My Model X was the ham in a sandwich. Thankfully no one was hurt, and My Model X seemingly sustained minor damage to the front bumper and rear bumper (photos attached). The other driver acknowledged fault, and by chance we are both insured by the same insurance company, USAA. I thought I would suffer some inconvenience, but be back on the road in a week or two. The car was totally drivable.

Little did I know the hamster wheel of getting Tesla body work completed.

I got estimates at two Tesla certified body shops, and the estimates were within 2% of each other, but both reported it would be months till they could acquire needed parts from Tesla to effect repairs. I decided that my repairs might be more speedily managed at a Tesla Collision Center, and scheduled a repair via the Tesla app. I took the Model X in on the appointed day two weeks later and received an estimate of ~$25,000 for repairs! Oh well, I am fully insured. They then sent me a report two days later that the car has completed tear down, and repairs should be completed in four weeks! I have heard nothing more for a week, but have been told that the problem is the absence of repair body parts at Tesla Collision Centers, and Tesla's policy of ordering needed parts ad hoc for delivery via UPS ground. Clearly I have no way of validating how Tesla's logistics work.

I find Tesla's policy of only "communicating" via the app very off-putting. I appreciate the efficiency of the app for minor service, or just scheduling stuff, but $25,000 over an app is a bit too much. And why won't Tesla warehouse parts for needed body repairs at their collision centers, somewhere nearby, or at least ship via some method faster than horse and wagon? Clearly Tesla vehicles will be involved in accidents every day of the week in a metropolitan area as large as Atlanta, and predicting parts needs/consumption should not prove that difficult.

It looks like Tesla owners tolerate incredibly slow service for body work, have no viable service options, and suffer continued difficulty trying to send smoke signals into the Fort Apache of Tesla service. Perhaps I am not being fair. I know they will not answer phone calls, and I have been impressed that if I drive the 15 miles to a service center, and show up in person, they really are nice and quite helpful in person.

So it appears I will wait more than six weeks to have repairs made to my Tesla for what appears to be a fairly minor fender-bender (I know, there is always hidden damage, and no such thing as a 'minor' accident), but the delays appear to be related to Tesla repair parts logistics, and not labor at the collision center. I have some confidence that the job will be well done at the end of the process, but will have to wait and see.

Am I just complaining or is this just what everyone has come to expect for Tesla Body repairs? I had a friend who waited 6 months for repairs on his Model 3 at a Tesla Collision Center, reportedly waiting Tesla parts supply. He said I should be pleased with my service.

What are the levels of service others are experiencing at Tesla Collision Centers?
IMG_3186 2.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG

I empathize with you. My model y touch the wall of my garage as I was backing out. I was going super slow.
I am getting it repaired at Tesla Collision Center in Tucker, GA.
I dropped the car off this past Friday. I got an estimate of $2700. I am paying out of pocket.
I was told 1-2 weeks to repair.

A few years ago when I was debating if I should buy a Tesla I read many posts like yours. So it took me months to make my decision.
Even I thought If I wanted an EV it would have to be a Tesla. I have owned the car for 3 plus years with no issues. This current issue is my fault.
But if a Tesla is in an accident repairing it would be expensive and time consuming for sure.