Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First real roadtrip in M3LR, in winter no less..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used '21 M3LR back in December and have been loving it. I have experience with EVs, as I owned two (now one) Nissan Leafs. Anyways, I've done road trips before when I owned ICE vehicles, and I've got the standard stuff - emergency blanket, extra clothes, cat litter, washer fluid, the charger that came with the car, and a AAA membership in case I need a tow. I'll pack some water when it's time to go. I recently did a weekend trip up to Scottsbluff for NYE (and ran into the wonderful heat pump problem...grr..), so I've even taken it for an overnighter and used a couple of SCs. Now I'm planning to go from Denver to Dallas mid-February for a week, and I'm very excited about it. Now that we've got context out of the way:

Is there anything else I should have? I've not done an EV road trip in winter, as the Leafs just didn't have the range and the charging network. There's a good chance the roads will be just fine, and I'll reschedule it if bad weather comes up, but if it's just cold that won't stop me. I've purchased the Tesla pucks in case it ends up in a shop that doesn't know what they're doing (in case a tire goes bad), and I've got snow tires on it as well. I've used ABRP to plan the trip, and know how long it should take me. I've driven down to Amarillo several times, so I'm very familiar with that part of the trip.

As you likely already are aware, just give yourself a bit more buffer with range during the winter. I feel like the supercharger estimates about when to continue the trip are generally accurate, but when it is really cold, windy, snowy, etc sometimes my ranges gets a bit lower than I'd like (low single digits) before the next supercharger if I don't add a few percent extra.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I bought a used '21 M3LR back in December and have been loving it. I have experience with EVs, as I owned two (now one) Nissan Leafs. Anyways, I've done road trips before when I owned ICE vehicles, and I've got the standard stuff - emergency blanket, extra clothes, cat litter, washer fluid, the charger that came with the car, and a AAA membership in case I need a tow. I'll pack some water when it's time to go. I recently did a weekend trip up to Scottsbluff for NYE (and ran into the wonderful heat pump problem...grr..), so I've even taken it for an overnighter and used a couple of SCs. Now I'm planning to go from Denver to Dallas mid-February for a week, and I'm very excited about it. Now that we've got context out of the way:

Is there anything else I should have? I've not done an EV road trip in winter, as the Leafs just didn't have the range and the charging network. There's a good chance the roads will be just fine, and I'll reschedule it if bad weather comes up, but if it's just cold that won't stop me. I've purchased the Tesla pucks in case it ends up in a shop that doesn't know what they're doing (in case a tire goes bad), and I've got snow tires on it as well. I've used ABRP to plan the trip, and know how long it should take me. I've driven down to Amarillo several times, so I'm very familiar with that part of the trip.
You seem overprepared if anything. With the Clayton supercharger opening about a year ago, the Denver to Dallas drive is no issue. Just charge longer if you are concerned about extreme weather. After a couple charging stops, you'll get the idea for what is necessary. If you do get out on a long leg and for some reason your arrival percentage is plummeting, just slow down and try to use the heat as little as possible.

But really you should be fine. There is actually a lot of discussion about the Denver to Dallas leg in the Clayton, NM supercharger thread (and possibly in the Trinidad, CO thread as well) so you can dig through that if you are interested.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You seem overprepared if anything. With the Clayton supercharger opening about a year ago, the Denver to Dallas drive is no issue. Just charge longer if you are concerned about extreme weather. After a couple charging stops, you'll get the idea for what is necessary. If you do get out on a long leg and for some reason your arrival percentage is plummeting, just slow down and try to use the heat as little as possible.

But really you should be fine. There is actually a lot of discussion about the Denver to Dallas leg in the Clayton, NM supercharger thread (and possibly in the Trinidad, CO thread as well) so you can dig through that if you are interested.
Awesome - thank you both for the feedback!

Reactions: PLUS EV