Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot aggressively tries to take every motorway exit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently been on a long road trip and about 70% of the time, when I'm in Lane 1 and drive past a motorway(highway) exit the car will suddenly get confused and swerve off the road. I've tried leaving it when nobody is around and most of the time it swerves back onto the road.
This happens with navigate on Autopilot on or off and I've even have it turn on the indicator to exit with navigate on Autopilot turned off which makes me wonder if it's a bug specific to enhanced Autopilot which is why it's not more talked about. I'm in the UK so maybe our road markings effect it.
I've had this happen occasionally since getting the car last September but it's so bad now I disconnect Autopilot every time I drive past an exit. My passengers got really annoyed at the swerving.
Has anyone else had this and is there any solution?

Does it happen when the lane widens as the new exit lane splits off and before the new line that divides them is seen by the car?

My car does it in those situations where it tries to stays in the center and then it realizes that a new lane opened. It jerks back into it's original lane. The car should stay in the lane based on the left lane divider but it doesn't. I still don't get why they haven't fixed that.

This and when the car slams on the brake for a slower moving vehicle merging from the on-ramp on the right lane are the two major issues I encountered with AP and Navigate on AP.

Reactions: someguywithcar
Has anyone else had this and is there any solution?
People with FSD have reported problems with exit lanes just as you describe. There is no solution other than to wait for the latest FSD software, version 12 (V12). That doesn't exhibit this problem. There are a couple challenges, however. V12 doesn't handle highway driving yet (though it does correctly handle other types of roads that have exit lanes), and it's still highly experimental, with only a handful of customers having access. If you search YouTube for "Tesla FSD V12", you'll see how well it works.

Here's the 267-page TMC thread on the software. I suggest skipping to the last few pages to catch up on the latest discussions.

We're hoping for a wide release in the coming weeks, but there's no knowing how long it will take before Tesla is comfortable enough with the software to tackle highway driving, or to implement its other driver assist features using that technology.

We're hoping for a wide release in the coming weeks, but there's no knowing how long it will take before Tesla is comfortable enough with the software to tackle highway driving, or to implement its other driver assist features using that technology.
Such a reverse over previous progress. Before EAP was only for highways not city streets. Now FSDbV12 is only for city streets, not highways.

Highway driving was obviously 'easier' than city driving for the programmers to get to 90% safe but they seem uncomfortable enough with the latest FSD method (NN) that they are sticking with the tried and true V11 despite its known flaws. I suppose the known flawed behaviour is safer than unknown flawed behaviour, especially at highway speeds.

Still it seems like a less than ringing endorsement of the NN capabilities that they haven't included highway driving in V12.

Reactions: legendsk