Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip Thoughts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip
We went from Kent, Ohio to Durham, NC (about 520miles) in one day – just two of us (sans kids)! Then return a couple of days later. The 8:20 or so drive took about 9:20 with stops.

Car
Wow! Everyone knows and experiences the acceleration from 0mph to 40mph but no one told me that the acceleration from 60mph to 80mph is the same and so bad ass!!! So easy (and fun) to pass a fast car up a hill on the freeway! This car is fast, period. And so fun to drive on a long drive.

Charging
Started at home with 97%. Used both ABRP and the onboard computer. Gotta say, the onboard computer kind of makes it the world’s biggest no brainer! Didn’t really use ABRP much. Just did what the computer said and was within a couple of percent of battery projections.

On the way down, we had two stops, about 30 mins each. Both short enough that we got a bio break, some food, and a stretch. Ended the trip at about 15%. Went to nearby SC to fill up again – it was only a few mins away and I did a work call from the car during the 20 min charge. Got to 95% and total spent on SC was $60.

On the way back, we had three stops, but shorter! We were toying with skipping the last one as it seemed that we could make it, but with single digit battery left. But in the end, we did charge for a few mins. Got home with about 22%.

Only one stall in all the stops was non-functional. Never had to wait for an SC.

Did a short Charge Point charge at a local garage in Durham to “top off” the day before the drive home. That was ridiculously inexpensive, but also very slow. I think 15% or so in 2 hours. But Charge Point app and system is really good. Mostly Teslas at the charging station! It was a good experience to do it!

Dollars for dollars, with current gas rates, we spent about half as much for the trip as we would have in my wife’s Volvo XC-90 (which uses premium gas).

Quirks – hits and misses!
The excessive beeping is pretty annoying. Lane keeping, beep every single time you double tap to set cruise, etc. It would be awesome to not have so much beeping. The lane keeping function is remarkably spot on, so this made the long drive very very easy! Seats are wonderfully comfortable (and I am a very picky person in terms of seats due to lower back issues). The mapping app is superb. The satellite view is really good to have and fun. The web browser is also really good! I didn’t think this was a needed app in the car, but damn, useful and fun! The rear luggage compartment cover, although made of good materials and good idea with the magnet, is functionally dumb as hell and likely living in the garage till the car is sold! :) Wish in Facetime mode (iOS), the car would use the screen to show the image and the in-car camera as the front camera – would be fun (I do realize the limitations here…).

Sharing a few pictures...

IMG_1270 Large.jpeg
IMG_1346 Large.jpeg
IMG_1310 Large.jpeg
IMG_1281 Large.jpeg

25MPG is a bit backwards. There are cars like the Rav4 Hybrid which are $15k cheaper and comparable to a Model Y that can get 38mpg average in the real world. (1080 miles/38mpg) * $4/gal = $113. So an EV is still half the cost of a modern gas car on the same road trip.
[So an EV is still half the cost of a modern gas car on the same road trip.]

From what I've read, that seems to be the best sceranio, which is still very good
Probably 90%+ is "charging at home", which is about 1/4 the cost of a ICE. Only my guess because I don't know how much I pay at home (I don't care, but I know it's much less)

[So an EV is still half the cost of a modern gas car on the same road trip.]

From what I've read, that seems to be the best sceranio, which is still very good
Probably 90%+ is "charging at home", which is about 1/4 the cost of a ICE. Only my guess because I don't know how much I pay at home (I don't care, but I know it's much less)

Yes, but it really depends on where you live in the country/world. My electricity is 17cents per kwh, so 1/4 to 1/3rd of the price of a gas car. I save $150/mo in fuel costs. But if you live in a state or country with 50cents per kwh, that savings may not be worth the additional $15k it costs to buy a comparable EV.

What’s the big update in v11?
Merging of the Highway NOA/AP stack with the Urban roads, everything else FSDb stack.. one stack to rule them all so to speak. From what we’ve seen in SOME leaked videos, other than THAT, not too much in overall forward progress - at least nothing that can be noted through the test paths/journeys users do - and apparently some additional regressions.

But the highest selling vehicle gets 17/22.

What kind of logic are you using?? To compare a full size half ton truck to a Model Y is a bit ridiculous. If you want a CUV, there are gas versions that get way better than 25mpg. So why compare a Model Y to a 25mpg SUV?? The Model Y is still lower cost compared to gasoline. But there's no reason to oversell it.

You can compare the Hummer EV to the F150. The F150 is cheaper, and probably a wash in terms in gas vs electricity.

What kind of logic are you using?? To compare a full size half ton truck to a Model Y is a bit ridiculous. If you want a CUV, there are gas versions that get way better than 25mpg. So why compare a Model Y to a 25mpg SUV?? The Model Y is still lower cost compared to gasoline. But there's no reason to oversell it.

You can compare the Hummer EV to the F150. The F150 is cheaper, and probably a wash in terms in gas vs electricity.

I compared it to exactly what I said, the highest selling vehicle. Does it really matter if it is an F150 or Tesla? The F150 is out on the road, probably 98% of the time being driven like a car.

Aren't the F150s probably driving the most miles, if they sell the most?

I compared it to exactly what I said, the highest selling vehicle. Does it really matter if it is an F150 or Tesla? The F150 is out on the road, probably 98% of the time being driven like a car.

Aren't the F150s probably driving the most miles, if they sell the most?

Then compare it to the Cybertruck, Rivian, HummerEV or F150 Lightning. Don't compare it to the Model Y. If someone wants to downsize to save costs, they also have other gas and hybrid options. It doesn't make sense to compare to Full Size Truck to a Model Y. Toyota sold the most CUV sales in 2022 at 400k units. You can compare the Model Y to a Rav4.

Then compare it to the Cybertruck, Rivian, HummerEV or F150 Lightning. Don't compare it to the Model Y. If someone wants to downsize to save costs, they also have other gas and hybrid options. It doesn't make sense to compare to Full Size Truck to a Model Y. Toyota sold the most CUV sales in 2022 at 400k units. You can compare the Model Y to a Rav4.

The premise that you are using is the same one that allows pickup to cheat on emissions. Pickups get classified as "work" trucks because the automakers pushed for it back when the EPA rules were put in place. And pickup truck penetration wasn't that high at that time.

But auto manufacturers have used the "exception" to their advantage to be able to skirt EPA rules since then. Let's look at the station wagons of the 70's they were behemoth monsters. You won't find an equivalent today, mainly because they are now classified as "trucks"

And trucks have done nothing but brown. Look at an F150 from the 70's and then look at one from today, you can basically put the old truck in the bed of the new one. I'm sure that the old station wagon weighed more than the F150.

As far as I am concerned, it really doesn't matter what the vehicle is, they are both drinking fossil fuels, converting it badly, and spitting the results out the back.

And it is pretty pathetic when the US fleet still stays with EPA ratings similar to that of 50 years ago (okay I know I'm exaggerating) when you include all the vehicles on the road.

The premise that you are using is the same one that allows pickup to cheat on emissions. Pickups get classified as "work" trucks because the automakers pushed for it back when the EPA rules were put in place. And pickup truck penetration wasn't that high at that time.

But auto manufacturers have used the "exception" to their advantage to be able to skirt EPA rules since then. Let's look at the station wagons of the 70's they were behemoth monsters. You won't find an equivalent today, mainly because they are now classified as "trucks"

And trucks have done nothing but brown. Look at an F150 from the 70's and then look at one from today, you can basically put the old truck in the bed of the new one. I'm sure that the old station wagon weighed more than the F150.

As far as I am concerned, it really doesn't matter what the vehicle is, they are both drinking fossil fuels, converting it badly, and spitting the results out the back.

And it is pretty pathetic when the US fleet still stays with EPA ratings similar to that of 50 years ago (okay I know I'm exaggerating) when you include all the vehicles on the road.

I didn't agree with how that went down either. But if you want to advocate for cleaner technology to help climate change, then you should do any apples to oranges comparisons which can be easily debunked and dissected. Detractors will point to that as an example to take away credibility from the argument. It actually hurts more than it helps.

If you want to hurt pickup truck adoption, the easiest way to move people to smaller cars is by raising fuel prices. The Cybertruck will allow those people to have their cake and eat it too when you compare running costs.

I didn't agree with how that went down either. But if you want to advocate for cleaner technology to help climate change, then you should do any apples to oranges comparisons which can be easily debunked and dissected. Detractors will point to that as an example to take away credibility from the argument. It actually hurts more than it helps.

If you want to hurt pickup truck adoption, the easiest way to move people to smaller cars is by raising fuel prices. The Cybertruck will allow those people to have their cake and eat it too when you compare running costs.
Yes, I feel that I am doing apples to apples.

1 commuter driving 30 miles to work and back. Does it matter what vehicle that they are driving?

Or do you feel that an apples to oranges would be better portrayed with you driving a Tesla and me driving a loaded semi? They are both providing the same service, transporting a person from point A to point B.

Go to Texas parking garages and see how trucks are parked in them during the day. Although it's actually easier to count the number of cars.