Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Report: Orlando, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family and I rented a Model Y from Hertz on a recent vacation to Orlando, FL. We used it for a little less than a week, mostly around the Orlando area, but we did a day trip to Fort Lauderdale. Hertz and Tesla did a very good job setting the cars up so that Tesla owners will feel right at home.

We picked up the car at the Orlando airport (MCO). We got a keycard inside a holder for initial access. This works pretty much like a normal Tesla keycard with respect to unlocking/locking and starting the car. I think the Hertz employee who helped us find the car was either new or hadn’t really been trained properly about EVs (she thought Tesla Superchargers needed to be presented with a credit card). I could envision new Tesla drivers getting confused here.

The first time we hopped in the car, there was a QR code on the display…scanning this with my phone set it up in the Tesla app and associated it with my Tesla account. It even did the phonekey pairing. At this point the car showed up in my app as just another car. The third-party Stats app on my phone also recognized the Model Y and recorded driving / charging statistics for it. It even set up my cloud profile (from my Model X) in the Y, so it transferred over some preferences, nav destinations, etc. It looked like it’s only possible to have at most one customer Tesla account associated with the car at a time (so my wife ended up having to drive on my driver profile and my settings, which fortunately aren’t too different from hers).

This was our first experience driving a Model Y (a recent long-range version). I was impressed with the build quality, subjectively better than my Model S or Model X, and quieter as well. The interior was more roomy than I expected. I did miss the instrument cluster display, and we found that adapting to Yet Another Set of Stalks and Yet Another Way of Opening the Doors took some time.

The car came configured with basic AP. Personally this suffices for a majority of my freeway driving, with the exception of having AP disengage during lane changes (“automatic lane changes” requires EAP or FSD).

When we got the car it already had the Holiday Update applied to it (well one version anyway). It had another version ready to install, which I scheduled for overnight. It turns out that a number of Superchargers have WiFi for the cars to use, so in the time we had the car, it downloaded a game update and a third version of the Holiday Update.

There was a mobile connector with the NEMA 5-15 adapter in the sub trunk. Notably there was no J1772 adapter. I’m not sure what exactly was to be expected here, but if I knew I was going to be depending on adapters, I’d have packed my own.

We used Superchargers exclusively. I believe the arrangement is for the Supercharging fees to be passed through and billed by Hertz, but I haven’t seen my wife’s copy of the paperwork yet. Supercharging for us in Florida was convenient and easy. We never had to wait for a charger, although once or twice I changed my charging plans to avoid congestion.

There were two Supercharging settings that were new to us. First were the service plazas on Florida’s Turnpike…these are huge roadside stops in the middle of the freeway with gas/diesel pumps, EV charging (usually including Tesla Superchargers), fast food, stores, etc. Using the navigation to find the Superchargers was pretty helpful because the chargers aren’t visible from every part of the service plaza.

The other new Supercharging setting was Wawa, a chain of gas station / convenience stores, a number of which have Tesla Superchargers. They reminded me of miniature versions of the travel service plazas, but in the cities. Of the 16 Superchargers we used on this trip, 6 were behind/beside Wawa locations.

(As an aside: The trip to Fort Lauderdale was to go to dinner at the Rustic Inn Crabhouse. Highly recommend their garlic crabs, and yes we made a full-day round trip just for that.)

When it came time to return the car, I wanted to see how to wipe my settings out. Fortunately there was a control on the app for “Release Access” (or some similar wording) that disassociated the car with my Tesla account. It took a few seconds for this to be reflected in the car. We could still of course use the keycard for the final drive to drop the car back off at MCO.

They told us verbally when we picked the car up to return it with at least 80% charge (it had 95%). We worked out the last charging session such that we’d be able to make it from our hotel back to the airport with some reserves, so we rolled in to MCO with 83% battery.

This rental experience worked out extremely well. I can’t comment on how this would have gone for Tesla newbies, or more specifically people renting a Tesla to try one out for the first time. But at least for us, I’d definitely consider doing this again for a similar trip.

IMG_2780.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the write up, @bmah!

Since your experience included a rental from Hertz, and I have seen a couple of different people post about issues with the QR code not showing up, I thought I would put a link to a thread with some steps to resolve that, that have been successful for our members:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

My family and I rented a Model Y from Hertz on a recent vacation to Orlando, FL. We used it for a little less than a week, mostly around the Orlando area, but we did a day trip to Fort Lauderdale. Hertz and Tesla did a very good job setting the cars up so that Tesla owners will feel right at home.

We picked up the car at the Orlando airport (MCO). We got a keycard inside a holder for initial access. This works pretty much like a normal Tesla keycard with respect to unlocking/locking and starting the car. I think the Hertz employee who helped us find the car was either new or hadn’t really been trained properly about EVs (she thought Tesla Superchargers needed to be presented with a credit card). I could envision new Tesla drivers getting confused here.

The first time we hopped in the car, there was a QR code on the display…scanning this with my phone set it up in the Tesla app and associated it with my Tesla account. It even did the phonekey pairing. At this point the car showed up in my app as just another car. The third-party Stats app on my phone also recognized the Model Y and recorded driving / charging statistics for it. It even set up my cloud profile (from my Model X) in the Y, so it transferred over some preferences, nav destinations, etc. It looked like it’s only possible to have at most one customer Tesla account associated with the car at a time (so my wife ended up having to drive on my driver profile and my settings, which fortunately aren’t too different from hers).

This was our first experience driving a Model Y (a recent long-range version). I was impressed with the build quality, subjectively better than my Model S or Model X, and quieter as well. The interior was more roomy than I expected. I did miss the instrument cluster display, and we found that adapting to Yet Another Set of Stalks and Yet Another Way of Opening the Doors took some time.

The car came configured with basic AP. Personally this suffices for a majority of my freeway driving, with the exception of having AP disengage during lane changes (“automatic lane changes” requires EAP or FSD).

When we got the car it already had the Holiday Update applied to it (well one version anyway). It had another version ready to install, which I scheduled for overnight. It turns out that a number of Superchargers have WiFi for the cars to use, so in the time we had the car, it downloaded a game update and a third version of the Holiday Update.

There was a mobile connector with the NEMA 5-15 adapter in the sub trunk. Notably there was no J1772 adapter. I’m not sure what exactly was to be expected here, but if I knew I was going to be depending on adapters, I’d have packed my own.

We used Superchargers exclusively. I believe the arrangement is for the Supercharging fees to be passed through and billed by Hertz, but I haven’t seen my wife’s copy of the paperwork yet. Supercharging for us in Florida was convenient and easy. We never had to wait for a charger, although once or twice I changed my charging plans to avoid congestion.

There were two Supercharging settings that were new to us. First were the service plazas on Florida’s Turnpike…these are huge roadside stops in the middle of the freeway with gas/diesel pumps, EV charging (usually including Tesla Superchargers), fast food, stores, etc. Using the navigation to find the Superchargers was pretty helpful because the chargers aren’t visible from every part of the service plaza.

The other new Supercharging setting was Wawa, a chain of gas station / convenience stores, a number of which have Tesla Superchargers. They reminded me of miniature versions of the travel service plazas, but in the cities. Of the 16 Superchargers we used on this trip, 6 were behind/beside Wawa locations.

(As an aside: The trip to Fort Lauderdale was to go to dinner at the Rustic Inn Crabhouse. Highly recommend their garlic crabs, and yes we made a full-day round trip just for that.)

When it came time to return the car, I wanted to see how to wipe my settings out. Fortunately there was a control on the app for “Release Access” (or some similar wording) that disassociated the car with my Tesla account. It took a few seconds for this to be reflected in the car. We could still of course use the keycard for the final drive to drop the car back off at MCO.

They told us verbally when we picked the car up to return it with at least 80% charge (it had 95%). We worked out the last charging session such that we’d be able to make it from our hotel back to the airport with some reserves, so we rolled in to MCO with 83% battery.

This rental experience worked out extremely well. I can’t comment on how this would have gone for Tesla newbies, or more specifically people renting a Tesla to try one out for the first time. But at least for us, I’d definitely consider doing this again for a similar trip.

View attachment 1004321
Nice!

I recently took a trip to Orlando in late October and I also rented a Tesla (model 3) from Hertz to get around town. Overall, I had a great experience. Only thing that bothered me was that premium connectivity expired in the car on the second day into my trip, and then I had to use my phone LTE to play music (which kept disconnecting).

The supercharging fees will show up on your bank statements soon, as well as if you went through any tolls (crazy Hertz toll fees though, $9.99 a day usage charge if you do the plate scanning option).

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the write up, @bmah!

Since your experience included a rental from Hertz, and I have seen a couple of different people post about issues with the QR code not showing up, I thought I would put a link to a thread with some steps to resolve that, that have been successful for our members:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for the pointer! At the time, I was prepared to use the keycard for all the access but there are a ton of things that just work better if you have app access, so this is actually a pretty big "quality of life" feature to have working, particularly for those customers who are already familiar with the mobile app and its features.

Bruce.

Nice!

I recently took a trip to Orlando in late October and I also rented a Tesla (model 3) from Hertz to get around town. Overall, I had a great experience. Only thing that bothered me was that premium connectivity expired in the car on the second day into my trip, and then I had to use my phone LTE to play music (which kept disconnecting).

The supercharging fees will show up on your bank statements soon, as well as if you went through any tolls (crazy Hertz toll fees though, $9.99 a day usage charge if you do the plate scanning option).

Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, tolls. Tolls in Florida were confusing for these tourists (even my wife who did her rotation here many years ago). Some tollways take cash, others require transponders or plate scanning. It'll be interesting (?) to see how this works out. We didn't really think this part through, it looks like our California Fastrak transponders might have worked here?

Bruce.

Oh yeah, tolls. Tolls in Florida were confusing for these tourists (even my wife who did her rotation here many years ago). Some tollways take cash, others require transponders or plate scanning. It'll be interesting (?) to see how this works out. We didn't really think this part through, it looks like our California Fastrak transponders might have worked here?

Bruce.
Interesting, hope the transponders did work. It took Hertz about a week and half to bill me for tolls, so you will find out soon enough!

Reactions: bmah
Interesting, hope the transponders did work. It took Hertz about a week and half to bill me for tolls, so you will find out soon enough!

I was probably unclear, we didn't think to bring a Fastrak transponder, but I thought I saw a list of compatible transponders somewhere and it was mentioned. I probably should have researched that ahead of time. I'm expecting to see a bill-by-plate.

Bruce.

View attachment 1004321
I have similar experience at Hertz DFW airport, overall it is positive. There are several things I think they can improve. I am a gold member at Hertz but haven't use rental for quite a long time and learned few lessons.

1. There is no assigned 3/Y for EV renter, just go and pick up anyone you like.
2. Not sure if this is DFW specific, the wait to get out the Hertz booths gates is frustrating. There are 4 checkouts, one time I waited for 30 mins in the car, each booth has only 2-3 cars and it is very slow. I thought it is a one time problem but another time I still have to wait for 15 mins. It is not just EV specific, everyone is the same.
3. The car is not very clean outside and the cameras are dirty, It is very noticeable when using the backup camera.
4. One newer 3 (2022) is quieter and better suspension than my MS, the older 3/Y is comparable
5. I wish Hertz and Tesla can have a way to reset the settings to default when the car is returned or tell the driver how to do it. In the first time, someone turned on all possible warning chimes like speed, and then the other time the heated steering which becomes burning hot. It is not easy to find it in the menu while driving a new to me car.
6. Software is not up to date, I guess they have no WiFi in the airport.
7. Not a big fan without IC and my hand position usually blocked the speed on the MCU.
8. Return is easy, just charged up, return to Hertz and walk away
9. Toll charges are crazy if you don't get the package. One time I forgot and get on the toll road once which is very common here. I think the actual toll is around 3 dollars, but the service charge from the company - not Hertz but another middle man is 20 dollars.

Last edited:
This is interesting that they told you to bring it back at 80%. Hertz’s own blog on renting an EV says you need to bring it back at the same level you got it or pay $25 - $35 for them to recharge.

This is interesting that they told you to bring it back at 80%. Hertz’s own blog on renting an EV says you need to bring it back at the same level you got it or pay $25 - $35 for them to recharge.
There is no way to get it back to the same level. All of them are plugged in and very likely at 100%. I rented 3 times and they are all fully charged. They told me the same bring it back at 80%, may be if the car is at less than 80% then you can bring it back at that level.

There is no way to get it back to the same level. All of them are plugged in and very likely at 100%. I rented 3 times and they are all fully charged. They told me the same bring it back at 80%, may be if the car is at less than 80% then you can bring it back at that level.
I should’ve said the Hertz blog says bring it back at a minimum of what it was when you rented it. @bmah said he rented at 95% and came back at 83% but did not have to pay a recharge fee. I agree that bringing it back at 100% would be impossible so I was glad to hear there’s some leeway with that.

I should’ve said the Hertz blog says bring it back at a minimum of what it was when you rented it. @bmah said he rented at 95% and came back at 83% but did not have to pay a recharge fee. I agree that bringing it back at 100% would be impossible so I was glad to hear there’s some leeway with that.

I wonder if it's site-specific? Also I mentioned that they told me to bring it back at 80%, but I'm not sure what the final outcome was for charging, toll, etc. fees. They didn't seem to make any particular point about the state of charge when we returned it, so I'm taking them at their word.

Bruce.

That sounds like a really great experience. While recently supercharging my Model 3, I ran into somebody who showed up in a rented Chevy Bolt that he got from Avis - they didn't give him any instructions on how to charge it, what kind of charger it needed or anything, and rolled up to my local Supercharger with about 15% remaining. I was luckily able to help him out and direct him to the nearest CCS charger, but it was pitiful that they provided no information to him on how to use the thing.

So, I'm happy to hear Hertz seems to have a solid program down pat.

Reactions: timberlights
I wonder if it's site-specific? Also I mentioned that they told me to bring it back at 80%, but I'm not sure what the final outcome was for charging, toll, etc. fees. They didn't seem to make any particular point about the state of charge when we returned it, so I'm taking them at their word.

Bruce.
Actually it is on their FAQ. Just bring in back to at least 80% or same charge level or pay $35 or $25 for gold member. You should have received the receipt a few minutes after the return except for any tolls which may be few weeks later.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
My wife and I had an excellent experience a couple months ago renting a dual-motor long range Y in Pittsburgh for a week. We scanned the bar code and it popped up in the app. Hertz passed through the supercharger fees at cost, no markup. Their policy at all locations now is return it with at least 80%. Some of their older documents have not been updated and still say 70%.

When we first got in the car a Hertz employee came over to see if we had any questions. She was quite knowledgeable and quickly discovered that we knew more about the car than she did (we've been driving Tesla for 13 years). I showed her a couple Easter eggs she then asked if I would consider doing their next training LOL.

Reactions: Eric33432 and bmah
Another informative Hertz Tesla rental thread. We rented a Model 3 and a Model Y recently. Had good experiences though the knowledge of the rental agents was minimal. Rented each vehicle for a week before deciding to purchase. We purchased the MYLR, which we love.

In both vehicles previous renters left some of their personal settings. We were able to access their Netflix, Disney or Apple accounts in the Tesla apps to watch movies and listen to music because they had not deleted their account settings. We decided to delete their account settings and use our own. Other personal settings were in the cars including their bluetooth and WiFi settings. As mentioned in other threads renters should delete all personal accounts and other personal information before returning vehicle. We also scrubbed the web browser to delete websites we visited which may tie directly or indirectly to us. I believe someone has produced a checklist for this in a previous thread.

One rental Hertz did not include a Tesla Mobile Charging kit, including the J1772 adapter. They clearly stated on their website this would be in the car. They said we wouldn't need it. I insisted they include one. A kit was grudgingly delivered which added 20 minutes to our rental wait. We in fact used it at home during our week with the vehicle and at a hotel which had a level 2 free charger. The rental agency manager told me these are the most pilfered item from Hertz Tesla rentals. I gently reminded him that inspecting Teslas a bit more thoroughly on return and informing customers they'd be charged for these $230 kits might help solve their problem.

My wife rents Teslas whenever she can when she travels on business because it's her preferred navigation system compared to other makes. She's rented both the Y and 3, but prefers the feel of our classic S85.

We recently went on a Disney World vacation (her former client arranged a VIP Disney Tour with 2-day park hopper passes). We rented a Polestar 2 from Hertz at MCO and drove it around the area for a few days. Charging infrastructure for non-Teslas is insufficient; JW Marriott charged $45 to use their EVSE (since they require you to use their valet service), and the Disney EVSEs at Disney Springs were all occupied (yep...all 6 of them). We returned the car with 50% SOC and they didn't charge us for it.

Reactions: theothertom
Rented a Model 3 SR from Hertz at Orlando airport the second week of March 2024. $58 a day with prepayment. I guess not many people want the short range therefore the cheap price. Heavy up-sell on extra insurance so check with your insurance agent and credit card for coverage.
Even with prepayment and web check-in (pic of drivers license and selfie) I still had to wait to get the paperwork from the Hertz desk. Was given the choice of silver, red or blue. Car was in good condition. Carpet was immaculate, windows a little foggy. Car had 40,000 miles so the tires were almost new Milestar Miletech ($105 ea at Walmart). Hertz is thrifty.
Tires were probably the reason the efficiency was the same as my YLR. Tires were also mushy in ride and handling even when over inflated.
Loaded the Visitor Travel Pass app at home and picked up the hang-tag on level one before crossing the lane to the rental garage. The app gives you all your toll charges as they occur. There were two small tolls added after I dropped off the car.
The QR code popped up as soon as I got in. Opened my phone camera and clicked on Tesla. My Tesla app now showed the rental. If I used the key card again the car would drop off the app until I went back thru the QR code.
We took the Turnpike down to Palm Beach. More relaxed trip than 95. Superchargers at the Service Centers about every 40 miles. SCs are busy. The Canoe Creek closest to Orlando had an 80% charge limit due to use. I overrode to 100% because I wanted to drop off with 80% at MCO.
I charged three times in 450 miles. Twice at SCs and once at Wawa. Standard Connectivity on the car. Nav to Supercharger on my phone is done by the co-pilot so subject to error. When I got back to Detroit my Model Y had a Nav to Florida on it.
There are plenty of SCs in that part of Florida and plenty of Teslas. Not knowing my way around I was charging at 25 to 30%. Then charging without pre-heating to 100% would take a half hour. A guest wanted to see a charge. I said to get out first, stand at the back and watch closely. I grabbed the charge cord and plugged it in the car. They were expecting some kind of ordeal at the pump. Not with a Tesla.
When I pulled into the rental return the attendant looked over the car and sent my bill to my email. It included the Supercharger of about $44. I left the key card in the car and walked away releasing the car from my Tesla app. I was summoned back because the app had not released the car fast enough and the key card was locked inside. When I picked up the car the card was inside.
Hertz was the only rental that offered "Tesla 3" not "Tesla 3 or similar". I didn't want to take a chance on "similar". It wouldn't be similar if it wasn't a Tesla.
I rented many cars where I spent a half hour trying to get the AC or the radio working. Model 3 was the same as my Y back home. No learning required.
Overall a great experience and I would rent from Hertz again.

Reactions: CobaltLights
My wife rents Teslas whenever she can when she travels on business because it's her preferred navigation system compared to other makes. She's rented both the Y and 3, but prefers the feel of our classic S85.

We recently went on a Disney World vacation (her former client arranged a VIP Disney Tour with 2-day park hopper passes). We rented a Polestar 2 from Hertz at MCO and drove it around the area for a few days. Charging infrastructure for non-Teslas is insufficient; JW Marriott charged $45 to use their EVSE (since they require you to use their valet service), and the Disney EVSEs at Disney Springs were all occupied (yep...all 6 of them). We returned the car with 50% SOC and they didn't charge us for it.
Hopefully they'll include an adapter in future. Volvo/Polestar uses the Tesla charge port position so once they have the adapter they can hit the Supercharger and not take up an extra space.

A colleague had a Tesla rental in Orlando that went smoothly. However, at the time they didn't have the phone integration so it wasn't as good an experience.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese