Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not worth claiming, its the 3rd time its happened so time to sell up, if I claim my premiums will cost more then the value of the tools. Thankfully it was not the bogg tool chest. mostly cordless and the basic set I use that I can go and replace. It ony stopped me smilling for a short period.

Reactions: ChadS and dhrivnak
As I aproach the garage it doesn’t feel right, probably the lights on and the door open, followed by the smashed glass and distinct lack of tools.
Ah man, really sorry to hear this. And, yikes, 3x this has happened?! Certainly not the homecoming any of us expected but your optimistic outlook after completing the journey and dealing with this is something we can all learn from :cool:
It ony stopped me smilling for a short period.

I’m trying to not let it phase me,it’s not how I wanted to end up my trip so I’ll conclude with the least gory deer incident picture.
26BBF669-3A2B-49CA-A0A1-88EA5236FCEE.jpeg
And a huge shout out to Dave aka djp
for keeping his old shocks and donating them so I can safety my car prior to changing the shocks to something long term.

Nice road trip write up.
Sorry I missed the action as it was happening live!
I didn't dare doing such a road trip with it when I bough mine in Florida, I drove it back on a trailer...kind of regretting it now that I'm ready yours!

As a fellow Canadian owner who imported his and went through the 'enjoyable' RIV import process a couple of years back,
is Tesla converting yours to Canadian standards or you will be keeping american plates on it? (seeing your profile's home as Toronto/Miami!)
I was wondering if Tesla still have enough parts to convert them upon request...

Lol, there’s a reason I went after 690. It’s a BC car so it’s already done, the last owner left it as is and just reregistered it in BC before I picked it up. Tesla Canada were worse than useless. In fact they you can’t import 2010 Roadster! Then never got back to me when I inquired about the parts. Added to the fact when I called for a toe link joint I had one delivered from the UK almost as quick as the time it took to finally ring me back. If I were to bring a US speccar back I would definitely convert it before it saw the Canadian border.

Reactions: Roadrunner13
Having never driven a roadster before I think it would make little difference. There were a few trips I could have made without the additional 1-2 hr top ups just to be safe. I would certainly have confidence to do the 210 mile legs, I arrived at one with 11 miles left on range setting so it was a little nerve racking. It was a great exercise in getting the most miles per charge but it’s nice to have it on normal for the extra power.

Having never driven a roadster before I think it would make little difference. There were a few trips I could have made without the additional 1-2 hr top ups just to be safe. I would certainly have confidence to do the 210 mile legs, I arrived at one with 11 miles left on range setting so it was a little nerve racking. It was a great exercise in getting the most miles per charge but it’s nice to have it on normal for the extra power.
Are you sure you were in Range mode? Usually it will stop showing you the distance when it drops below ~24 miles or so, and instead says “unable to calculate remaining range.” The first time I tried a long trip in Range mode, I stopped for a charge along the way and the car reset to standard mode. It made me nervous until I realized.

lol, I know all about that. It also charges at 7 amps for 2 hours once you go past all the warning and get to the crawl along and pray option. I had the car in range mode all the time, the 11 miles was indicated once I got it plugged in. Most of the time I would reset the trip meter. Then add the trip to the remaining projected. If it equaled what I started with I knew I was in good shape. At 55mph I would beat the clock, at 60mph about even but places like Montana are quite steep so I tried hard not to push it. I think if you have a bigger pack it would make little difference especially with the 40A charging stops. If your pulling 40Ah and charging at 40A then your driving and charging times are pretty much equal. 70A chargers between long legs are game changers. I was 8 hours behind at one point. Mostly due to the 7A charging and a few lower powered chargers than expected, 3 180 mile legs with 240v/70A chargers back to back made nearly all that time up. I predicted crossing the boarder at 6pm Saturday, I was plugged in charging at Windsor at 6:30pm. But I have been planning every stop for quite a while.