TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First unnecessary massive tantrum (emergency brake) from M3

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by elecTED, Dec 4, 2019.

1. elecTED

elecTED Member

I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I have had a fair few phantom brakes of varying degrees of strength and quite a fair few unnecessary shrieking collision warnings but first time I’ve had an unnecessary emergency brake applied by car.

Was very slowly approaching a gormless white (actually silver) van man who had his door open restricting the passage for vehicles to pass. I was about a couple of meters away from the car door almost coming to a halt when the car threw a massive wobbly and applied the emergency brakes with some force. The white van man gave me a dirty look as he closed his door and the M3 tantrum gave me a little fright too.

Much room for improvement with all this fancy auto collision detection/warning/avoidance stuff.

• Like x 2
  2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that wasn't the emergency breaking, but the new one pedal driving function.

Did the alarms go off?

3. JCremonini

JCremonini Member

One pedal driving is to do with regenerative braking which uses the motor to slow the car down, when the accelerator is lifted, rather than apply the brakes. It won’t be that.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

And when you are right at the speed of stopping, the car applies the parking brake. When going very slow, the car prematurely applies the brake and can jerk the car a little.

5. culverwood

culverwood Member

Phantom braking has annoyed me dozens of times but the other day it saved me from a certain accident.

6. elecTED

elecTED Member

This was defo was an emergency brake as the car was brought to a violent halt. I think there was a warning shriek. One pedal slowdown is much gentler and gradual. Phantom breaking generally slows the car down (rather than bringing to a halt) with varying degrees of force and not really experienced the phantom at really low speeds.

7. Alex987854

Alex987854 Member

Any details? Or even dashcam footage?

8. culverwood

culverwood Member

No dash cam but it was a slow speed incident and was the first time it had really slammed on the brakes as the car in front of me stopped rapidly while I was distracted.

9. elecTED

elecTED Member

If it saved you from an accident then it’s not phantom braking - it’s collision avoidance (using automatic braking).

By its nature the phantom (braking) strikes in mysterious circumstance, one which real humans find hard to explain.

10. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

It's AEB. I've had it happen once when there wasn't going to be a collision. It can be a bit over-cautious at times.

11. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

Hed it emergency brake twice for me. Both times when I tried to regen to hold and it deemed I would not stop in time before hitting the car in front. Both times I would have stopped by using the brakes a bit gentler.

One time it didn't brake but gave alarms when giving way and ducking in a gap in parked cars and not stopping.

Really not sure how much improvement can be had without a lot more image processing and computing within the second the situation arises.