Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First winter for my model 3 with OEM Michelin primacy mxm4 tires in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive on weekends for casual driving/road trips only. I avoid driving in heavy snow.

1. Do I "really" need to switch to winter tires? I suppose I will benefit from the added safety/handling only if I end up driving in moderate/heavy snow/slush? Given the tread is still good, should I try OEM all seasons this winter and then switch to winter tires next year?
2. Tires: Costco has Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 for $941 total. Tirerack has CONTINENTAL VIKINGCONTACT 7 for $680 total (with installation and including the $70 rebate). Any -ves going with continental and tirerack vs costco's michelins?
3. Wheels: I see Velox wheels for $650 (after the $150 discount) at Costco. Any cheaper alternatives without compromising quality/longevity?

Thanks in advance.

I second this question. I feel like I will try to with OEM's all season tires , I will buy winter tires only if all seasons are really bad.
I drove Prius through Chicago's winters just fine. I think that M3 should be better in snow than the Prius or hope so.

My first winter with my M3 I took it out in a mild storm and ended up sliding around so much that anytime it snowed more than an inch I would take my minivan instead. So for this winter I ordered a winter setup from Tesla, the 18s. If where you will doesn't maintain the roads really well I would get a set of winters. I grew up in central NJ and don't remember ever seeing a snow plow so if I was you I would get a winter set.

I second this question. I feel like I will try to with OEM's all season tires , I will buy winter tires only if all seasons are really bad.
I drove Prius through Chicago's winters just fine. I think that M3 should be better in snow than the Prius or hope so.
It's not the car that is the problem, it's the tires. M3 comes with more like 3 season tires not all season.

I got michelin X ice $222 teslak off rims $175 tpm $60. $2000 bucks Canadian for all 4

spend the money, you get the following benefits

1. You save the stock tires for the enjoyable season.
2. You get the added safety.
3. You will eventually get a new set of rubber (do it now).
4. Don't give your insurance company a reason to increase your premium.
5. Rear wheel drive and snow are not friends.
6. In a needed situation you have a spare tire.