Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these three MXM4 tires the same (for Model 3 AWD)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You didn't ask, but I am going to say it anyways: Why not the Hankook Ion Evo Tires?

From all reports, they are quieter, more efficient, cheaper, and MUCH better in the wet. The MXM4 tires are over 10 years old and its starting to show. If they were priced at $200 a pop, then maybe they would be a good option. I don't understand why they are $305 when Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires are $242.99.

I don't work for Hankook or anything, but man, the Ion Evo AS seem like a great tire for the Model 3.

You didn't ask, but I am going to say it anyways: Why not the Hankook Ion Evo Tires?

From all reports, they are quieter, more efficient, cheaper, and MUCH better in the wet. The MXM4 tires are over 10 years old and its starting to show. If they were priced at $200 a pop, then maybe they would be a good option. I don't understand why they are $305 when Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires are $242.99.
I'm sure Tesla buys them from Michelin for a much lower price, and Michelin earns a profit by pricing them very high as the 'exact OEM' replacement tire.

I don't work for Hankook or anything, but man, the Ion Evo AS seem like a great tire for the Model 3.

Some people claim they don't have great grip and Pirelli Elect AS is better, but otherwise the Hankook does seem like the other optimal choice.

Reactions: XPsionic
I think then Hankook, people are reporting better efficiency with new Hankook vs old MXM4---usually new tires are quieter but less efficient than worn ones.

Thank you. I am currently looking at data on these tires. Currently reviewing comments on Reddit and our main thread. There was a lot of hate initially when they (Tesla) switched to Hankook tires, and they (Reddit) justified it by saying Hankook had the cheapest and crappiest tires. Though I am uncertain if the Ion Evo was the specific tire Tesla switched to, or if Ion Evo is newer. Do you know any graphs/data on efficiency? These tires are $260 per tire, versus $310 for the MXM4.

The main reason I am so fixated on efficiency is because I unfortunately do not have home charging, so one supercharging session to 80% usually gets me enough for the week. I drive with aero caps on, and overall I get around 225 Wh/mi historical.

Thank you. I am currently looking at data on these tires. Currently reviewing comments on Reddit and our main thread. There was a lot of hate initially when they (Tesla) switched to Hankook tires, and they (Reddit) justified it by saying Hankook had the cheapest and crappiest tires.

Hankook Kinergy GT was used for some US made cars for a while, they're definitely worse than Michelin MXM4. Ion EVO is a whole new generation and they are better.

Though I am uncertain if the Ion Evo was the specific tire Tesla switched to, or if Ion Evo is newer. Do you know any graphs/data on efficiency? These tires are $260 per tire, versus $310 for the MXM4.
I think they have switched to Ion EVO for Shanghai-built cars. Haven't yet seen it so in US. The Ion EVO is made in Korea and shipping costs could be substantial. MXM4 is made in USA. No doubt Tesla demands a very low price.

No I don't know any specific scientific tests of ION EVO AS, just reports here and on Reddit. Nobody so far has been disappointed with efficiency, though some are disappointed by grip (especially if they came from a performance tire).

No I don't know any specific scientific tests of ION EVO AS, just reports here and on Reddit. Nobody so far has been disappointed with efficiency, though some are disappointed by grip (especially if they came from a performance tire).
Nice. I think you have a set, too? I drive pretty average, so I don't think grip will be too much of an issue.

HANKOOK ION EVO AS 235 /45 R18 98W XL BSW

Miraculously, these are in stock for me locally here. Just ordered (because current tire is 3/32 tread), and scheduled for next Tuesday. If they turn out terrible, I will return and jokingly blame you :p

• Funny
Nice. I think you have a set, too? I drive pretty average, so I don't think grip will be too much of an issue.

HANKOOK ION EVO AS 235 /45 R18 98W XL BSW

Miraculously, these are in stock for me locally here. Just ordered (because current tire is 3/32 tread), and scheduled for next Tuesday. If they turn out terrible, I will return and jokingly blame you :p
No I still have the MXM4s from factory but these are likely my next tire. I've just been following the news and discussion.

I am going to start with Tirerack data, and then "toptirereview" and see if it makes sense.

Tirerack Wh/mi:
Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1​
236​
Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect​
248​

Wet Stopping:
MXM4 T1 = 146.4 ft
PZero Elect = 125.4 ft

These tests were done at different times but its data.
Pzero Link:

MXM4 Link:

Now, if you look at this random place, they show the wet stopping distance between the Pzero Elect and Ion Evo as basically the same at 148-149 ft.

If you believe toptirereview, then the Ion Evo wet performance is similar to the PZero Elect but with possibly better efficiency than the MXM4. Maybe that is too good to be true?

Unfortunately, the Ion Evos have disappeared from Tirerack for some reason. It would be nice for them to test them and give us some data to compare.

If you believe toptirereview, then the Ion Evo wet performance is similar to the PZero Elect but with possibly better efficiency than the MXM4. Maybe that is too good to be true?
ION Evo are a new generation of tire tech and MXM4 are pretty old tech (10 years+). Hankook advertises heavily their uniform curing process as being a key for the ION. Presumably that's a new factory or production line with new technology.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Got them installed today. Feels comfy on streets so far, but not sure if it's because the old tires got down to 3/32 tread. They put quite a few wheel weights in, at least two oz worth on this one I think.

No highway driving today, I'll update later how it is, and in terms of efficiency, too.

Yes, I need to clean those rims :confused:

tires.jpg

I took a trip recently to Winnemucca, NV. Tires still pretty fresh, about 200mi before the trip. Stats below. Mostly 70mph driving, occasionally 75mph. Grateful for EAP, otherwise would have been a struggle to stay on the road safely. Tesla in-car odometer shows 316 kWh total and 240 Wh/mi whole trip.

solar eclipse tri.PNG