Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sidewall delamination on 2021 Model 3 Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OEM tires for my Model 3 are Michelin Primacy MXM4. Current mileage is 38000. Over the weekend one tire went flat while driving. Upon removing the tire and inspecting it, I see that the inner sidewall has started to delaminate. Not just in one spot but along the entire sidewall. Anyone else experience this? Extremely disappointed with Michelin's tire design and performance despite being a lifelong Michelin customer.

Post up pictures, but with that milage, I'm going to say it's normal. It's not a tire issue, it's an alignment issue. You'd be doing yourself a favor by getting an alignment at a tire shop, NOT TESLA. Have them set the toe, front and rear to 0.1- 0.3 deg toe IN.

IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG

Upper left image shows the outer sidewall, upper right shows the inner sidewall (the one that's delaminating) and the lower left image shows the areas of the inner sidewall that are leaking air. This appears to me to be an issue with the tire construction. I don't see how wheel (mis)alignment could cause the sidewall to delaminate.

That’s what happens when you drive on a flat. Not a defect. Not a Michelin problem. Not a Tesla problem.
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 is a RUN FLAT tire. It was driven less than 10 miles at low speeds after the problem occurred (Michelin says ok to drive up to 50 miles at speeds up to 50mph). There was no puncture in the tire tread when it was inspected after the fact and all tires were properly inflated prior to the trip. So, it's not at all clear what caused the tire to go flat to begin with.