Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix that buzzing sound with this one weird trick! [try using a tone generator app to find]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Y had developed an annoying buzzing sound on certain road surfaces. Couldn't quite pinpoint the source as it only happened while driving. I'd eliminated any loose or rattling items stored in the console, frunk, etc... I wasn't looking forward to probing around under the dash where I thought the buzzing was coming from.

Then yesterday in stop-and-go traffic a nearby vehicle with loud exhaust would trigger the buzz whenever they revved their engine. Hmm....

light💡bulb!

So, when I stopped to charge I downloaded a "tone generator" app for my phone, and then played it at a strong volume on the car's speakers. Tones between 40-60hz excited the buzz quite nicely. No longer tasked with driving, it was easy to find the source! As it turned out, one of the push-connectors on the frunk's hardware-bay cover wasn't seated, and the plastic push-pin was free to buzz around in its slot. An easy "Fonzie-bump" to seat the pin and all was quiet on the drive home. Blessed relief!

Our Y had developed an annoying buzzing sound on certain road surfaces. Couldn't quite pinpoint the source as it only happened while driving. I'd eliminated any loose or rattling items stored in the console, frunk, etc... I wasn't looking forward to probing around under the dash where I thought the buzzing was coming from.

Then yesterday in stop-and-go traffic a nearby vehicle with loud exhaust would trigger the buzz whenever they revved their engine. Hmm....

light💡bulb!

So, when I stopped to charge I downloaded a "tone generator" app for my phone, and then played it at a strong volume on the car's speakers. Tones between 40-60hz excited the buzz quite nicely. No longer tasked with driving, it was easy to find the source! As it turned out, one of the push-connectors on the frunk's hardware-bay cover wasn't seated, and the plastic push-pin was free to buzz around in its slot. An easy "Fonzie-bump" to seat the pin and all was quiet on the drive home. Blessed relief!

Can you share a pic of the part in question? I know the rear seat headrests are also a known source of rattling as well.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Can you share a pic of the part in question? I know the rear seat headrests are also a known source of rattling as well.
It's the "cowl cover" and associated push-connectors as in the diagram below (item 4). However today the buzzing returned so I'm going to have to examine it further. May have to make some modification to improve the fitment; perhaps adding some felt/weatherstripping, etc... I'll upload a photo if I come up with something that works longer-term. A service visit is of course an option but in my experience with service in general, this is a type of problem that often falls on deaf ears (literally as well as figuratively).
frunkdiagram_1024x1024@2x.png

Reactions: PCTAZRichard