Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog / moisture in left tail light housing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Now that it started raining in my area, I notice that my left tail light is getting very damp inside. Only this one housing has the problem. The right side is OK, the headlights are OK, the middle rear sections are OK. Just the leftmost rear housing looks like this now:

fog1.jpg

Compare to the right side:
nofog1.png

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I recently had my charge port serviced, and it is located on the left side just in front of the (now foggy) tail light.

I think other Tesla models also had moisture problems in some light clusters.
Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this myself? I would rather not leave my car with service to debug this problem.

No diagnosing should be needed. I had the same issue on delivery and they replaced the tail light no question asked. I showed them a picture similar to yours. It’s clear their is water and moisture in your taillight.

I don't have fogging like the OP, but I did notice small amounts of water inside both tail light housings after driving through heavy rain today. Is this normal?

mA6J2lS.jpg
Nope. Light housings are sealed and should never have water/moisture intrusion. Call the service center to have them replace it.

Also + OP, examine your light housings for any signs of cracks. If they find the housing is cracked from outside impact, they won’t cover replacement of the light housing

• Helpful
Reactions: Eno Deb