Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the tail running red lights wires go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

The running red lights in the back of my Model 3 2018 long range are off. The Tesla tech just replaced the trunk harness (recall) and that only fixed the trunk switch which wasn't working either. That's how I noticed the dead lights. I thought it would fix the gate red lights but nope. The passenger side red light (on the body) also doesn't work... well it works in the morning until I open the trunk then it is off. The driver side light (also on the body) works fine. I pulled out the connector (body passenger side) and check for power ... there is no power between pin 2 and pin 1 (ground). The break lights and backup lights work fine. I try to follow the harness but I lost it deep into the trunk. I see a lot of people selling the service diagram everywhere from $10 - $100. But some of these guys in ebay have terrible reviews. Does anyone know if these tail red light harnesses end in a common place where I can check for power or a reputable (cheap) place where I can buy the wiring diagram?

Thanks.

All lights are working now.

I think that the trunk harness the technician change was shorting out stuff and that's why the lights didn't work. I'm guessing some smart electronics was preventing the power being on. It took several hours to reset though. I was creating a service request to have the lights checked and the tesla app asked me for a picture or video so I went to the car and turn the lights on and ... I was pleasantly surprised. All lights on.

@jjrandorin: I saw that link but I couldn't find the wiring diagrams. I got this other one (https://service.tesla.com/docs/Model3/Circuit_Reference) earlier and I got the wiring diagrams and a few pictures of the connectors. But now this link doen't work for me anymore. Thanks anyhow.

All lights are working now.

I think that the trunk harness the technician change was shorting out stuff and that's why the lights didn't work. I'm guessing some smart electronics was preventing the power being on. It took several hours to reset though. I was creating a service request to have the lights checked and the tesla app asked me for a picture or video so I went to the car and turn the lights on and ... I was pleasantly surprised. All lights on.

@jjrandorin: I saw that link but I couldn't find the wiring diagrams. I got this other one (https://service.tesla.com/docs/Model3/Circuit_Reference) earlier and I got the wiring diagrams and a few pictures of the connectors. But now this link doen't work for me anymore. Thanks anyhow.
It looks like my link has a missing slash at the end. Try this one if you're looking for the electrical wiring diagrams for the model 3:

2017 - 2023 Model 3

Good luck.