Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding mirror screwy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
While at home in my garage, I folded the mirrors and saved the location, thinking they would fold whenever I park there going forward.

Later I'm backing into my driveway and they fold while I'm moving, before I even get into the garage. What gives?

The location has a radius and is basically when you’re home. Could be your driveway or even on your neighbors driveway if it’s close enough. It’s not pinpoint exact to specifically only that parking spot in your garage.

While at home in my garage, I folded the mirrors and saved the location, thinking they would fold whenever I park there going forward.

Later I'm backing into my driveway and they fold while I'm moving, before I even get into the garage. What gives?

It sounds to me like you needed to setup mirrors folding on exit of the car, instead of automatic folding mirrors at a location. This is covered in the manual actually. Here is the relevant part:

================================

Folding Mirrors​

To manually fold and unfold exterior mirrors (for example, parking in a narrow garage, tight space, etc.), touch Controls > Fold/Unfold Mirrors.

When you manually fold the mirrors, they remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h) (or until you manually unfold them by touching Controls > Unfold Mirrors).

You cannot fold a mirror when driving over 31 mph (50 km/h).

To set the mirrors to fold automatically whenever you exit and lock Model Y touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold. The mirrors unfold automatically when you unlock Model Y.

You can also set mirrors to fold automatically whenever you arrive at a specific location, which saves you from having to manually fold them each time you arrive at a frequented place. To set this up, stop at the location you want to save (or drive at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)), and fold the mirrors. Save Location appears briefly below the Fold Mirrors control. Touch again if you no longer want mirrors to automatically fold at the location.

=======================================

If you saved an automatic folding location, vs setting them to fold on exit (as I bolded above) then this is working as explained in the manual, and if you want it to not fold while you are backing up in your garage, you need to remove your saved location, and turn on fold on exit as it details above in the manual.

The purpose of Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location is for getting through tight spaces. If you want your mirrors to remain open when backing into your garage but then fold after you're inside, then this feature is not designed for that. The assumption is that you're moving (forward or backward) through a narrow space and the mirrors should protect themselves.

Note that there are TWO settings that control the mirror folding.

Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold

and

Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location

Here's an additional question from Mirrors auto folding at home location

These settings work correctly when (a) they are both off; (b) only Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold is on; and (c) when only Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location is on.

When both settings are turned on, the mirrors behave incorrectly (and randomly) when unlocking the car at the specified location. Is this your experience?

Mirror Auto Fold is turned off.
Fold mirrors\location saved is on.

My expectation was mirrors would fold in a particular location after parking or exiting vehicle, not while moving and certainly not while in reverse when the mirrors are actually being used. Our garage is tight, hence the desire to fold them here and not everywhere else, which is what I assume auto fold would do.

Thx

Mirror Auto Fold is turned off.
Fold mirrors\location saved is on.

My expectation was mirrors would fold in a particular location after parking or exiting vehicle, not while moving and certainly not while in reverse when the mirrors are actually being used. Our garage is tight, hence the desire to fold them here and not everywhere else, which is what I assume auto fold would do.

Thx

it sounds like you need to reverse what you have setup, to meet your expectation.

Reactions: Radio Kid
it sounds like you need to reverse what you have setup, to meet your expectation.

"You can also set mirrors to fold automatically whenever you arrive at a specific location, which saves you from having to manually fold them each time you arrive at a frequented place. To set this up, stop at the location you want to save (or drive at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)), and fold the mirrors. Save Location appears briefly below the Fold Mirrors control. Touch again if you no longer want mirrors to automatically fold at the location."

This paragraph says what I need. The problem is it just folds the mirror as soon as you get there, no matter if you're even in reverse. It's poor programming on Tesla's part.

"You can also set mirrors to fold automatically whenever you arrive at a specific location, which saves you from having to manually fold them each time you arrive at a frequented place. To set this up, stop at the location you want to save (or drive at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)), and fold the mirrors. Save Location appears briefly below the Fold Mirrors control. Touch again if you no longer want mirrors to automatically fold at the location."

This paragraph says what I need. The problem is it just folds the mirror as soon as you get there, no matter if you're even in reverse. It's poor programming on Tesla's part.

How is the car supposed to know, when you are moving, when to fold the mirrors? What you described you wanted was the mirrors folded on exit:

My expectation was mirrors would fold in a particular location after parking or exiting vehicle,

This is exactly what the other setting does (fold the mirrors on exit).

How is the car supposed to know, when you are moving, when to fold the mirrors? What you described you wanted was the mirrors folded on exit:

This is exactly what the other setting does (fold the mirrors on exit).
Thanks.

How is the car supposed to know? Programming.... I don't see the sense in automatically folding the mirrors while moving, so I would expect it to know when I've exited the vehicle, then fold as it does when Auto-fold is enabled. Yes, Auto fold works, but it does it every single time you exit. I was trying to do location based auto fold on exit so mirrors are not exposed in tight spaces such as in my garage, or work. Anyway, I'll just use the auto fold and let it fold every time. Maybe a software update will occur in the future. Thanks for all the help.

I don't see the sense in automatically folding the mirrors while moving
In other car forums I have been in, whenever the idea of "folding mirrors while moving" comes up (and it usually does, at some point), People not in the US remind everyone that a lot of roads where they are, are very tight and some even require the mirrors to be folded to fit down them.

This is also why, if you have your mirrors folded, they dont unfold automatically when the car starts moving, but will unfold when you reach a certain speed.

Im not trying to argue with you, just tell you why mirror folding logic can appear strange sometimes.

Reactions: Iron and E90alex