Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also over in this thread-

M3P-

Someone JUST took ownership yesterday of an AWD car (but they paid for the "new" P3D-) and they converted it to P via OTA update.

Exactly the thing current AWD owners are asking to be able to do.

This wouldn't be possible if they were putting different, lesser, parts into AWD cars- and pretty much confirms all the inventory P3D- people are seeing are just AWDs they software updated.

Has anyone tried to schedule a service appointment and typed AWD to P upgrade into the text box? Worst thing that could happen is that they would say no. I might try it if no one else has already been turned down.

I don't mind that I paid more than the current price, but I am a bit annoyed that if I had waited a few weeks I could have gotten a P.

Reactions: JBT66
Has anyone tried to schedule a service appointment and typed AWD to P upgrade into the text box? Worst thing that could happen is that they would say no. I might try it if no one else has already been turned down.

I don't mind that I paid more than the current price, but I am a bit annoyed that if I had waited a few weeks I could have gotten a P.

M3P-

I did.

• Informative
Reactions: cypho and TyH2009
Well they have not said no (yet) so I just submitted a similar service request.

What I figured will happen, as was the case with Homelink installation, is they will call me - at that point, I have a human I can pepper with questions. This beats the alternative of trying to call Tesla, being on hold for hours, etc. --- get them to come to me by calling to cancel the appointment, or better yet, confirm it can be done! :p

How do you explain this, then?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Not sure I need to. For one he doesn't say, at all, the P cars get a different inverter there. On the contrary he doesn't discuss the P until AFTER his remarks about inverters for all AWD models.

As pointed out that lot-sort tweet is likely, just like the "new white paint WILL NOT be pearl" remark, Elon saying stuff before the actual engineers got involved and corrected him.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Not sure I need to. For one he doesn't say, at all, the P cars get a different inverter there. On the contrary he doesn't discuss the P until AFTER his remarks about inverters for all AWD models.

As pointed out that lot-sort tweet is likely, just like the "new white paint WILL NOT be pearl" remark, Elon saying stuff before the actual engineers got involved and corrected him.

Very true!

No, it's not.

The P3D- (which is the car a software unlocked AWD becomes) is now only 2k more.
Yes it is. (I didnt say P3D-) The P3D is 7k more. The off-menu P3D- is only 2k more currently, but I would expect that option to disappear soon because it is sabotaging the sales of the P3D and LR AWD. It makes no sense to pay 5k more for wheels that are arguably uglier and slightly bigger brakes. It also makes no sense to buy a LR AWD if you can get a P3D- for only 2k more.