Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fraudsters registering Teslas for state rebates with bouncing checks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else seen any evidence of fraudsters registering cars with state DMVs (with bouncing checks) in order to get state and other local rebates?

I live in Colorado and have a model X that I have registered in Colorado (I have no relationship with CA DMV for a few years).
However I recently received from CA DMV a notice of bounced check with a fee of $60 for this.
It appears that someone has used a bouncing check to attempt to register my car in California.
The theory I have is that someone is doing this in order to get the state and utility rebates.
Has anyone else seen evidence of this?

I was wondering if someone accidentally got the VIN wrong when registering their own car, but that doesn't explain why they would use a bouncing check... unless they realized their mistake and canceled the check.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Interesting. Did you call California DMV to report it? The bounced check could be a red herring. Agree that common things being common, it could have been a legit registration attempt but the person entered the wrong VIN.

I have not. However, I just this week bought an EV and applied for the California rebate for the first time. I was rather surprised at how much documentation was required. They didn't just want the VIN. It was several docs, including a scan of the entire purchase agreement.

Not sure if the requirements have been this rigorous, but now that fraud has been mentioned I'm glad they are.

One other thing I didn't know before applying is that $2500 is not the cap. I qualified for a $4000 rebate. Pretty serious money.

Tesla finance is dealing with it for me for now... I'll update if I hear anything again but I'm guessing in this particular case Tesla+DMV will sort it out.
I would definitely check your credit reports and probably put a freeze on, just in case. I’m a bit paranoid though.