Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front driver side lights unavailable 1 hour into each journey.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One hour into nearly every car journey, driver side turn indicator failed (no indication or noise on dash). On stopping and checking, OTHER 2 indicator lights on the driver side working (but flashing faster than normal). Checking headlights, Driver headlight also out. Continue journey without that set of lights. Next morning, next journey, indicators work correctly either immediately or after about 10 minutes driving.

Took to Tesla, said nothing found (out of warranty, in 5th year, but they charged zero for the check, that included various resets.)

Next day, all was well, day after the problem repeated.

Suddenly I had a brain realization ... the hour into the journey when i got a failure was always at, or just past, a gas station/store that I frequently (but not always) stopped at.

Checked this out, and every time i turned into this store my indicator worked, and when i left the store the indicator either immediately did not work (i.e. before i even put in drive) or within 2 mins of driving away.

I did tests over the next 2 days, driving past the store without stopping, no problems. Parking the other side of the street from the store no problems. Parked once more in a normal space outside the store window: indicator failure.

I asked in the store if they had any special electrics, their own generator, heat inverters, geo thermal etc, but they said nothing but grid electricity. Hmmm. I nosed around, did not see anything special apart from a plethora of security lights and cameras on poles.

OK, i don't go to that store anymore and problem has not repeated.

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this?

Strange. Any chance there was a cell tower or radio station transmitter near the store? While it shouldn't cause a problem, those transmitters can be quite powerful and could be screwing up something. Did you try a reboot after leaving that area to see if it fixed it?

Hmmm, I did not try a full reboot immediately after leaving the area. But I did when i got home. It had no effect, I had to wait for the next day for indicator to work again. I will have a look for a tower tomorrow. Might just look at the LTE signal strength too. Thanks.

Checked yesterday, no obvious towers etc. LTE 3 bars. Spoke to the owner of the establishment, confirmed no unusual electrical equipment or generators. I will just ignore this now, continue parking one house away from the store (they really are the only place to buy great hot and spicy vegetable samosa 2 for $2)