Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta and hitch mount bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did about 70 miles round trip from San Jose to Santa Cruz (curvy hilly route). With a single bike mounted on the hitch rack, FSD beta did not seem to be affected. Although the bike does partially block the rear camera view, FSD seemed to handle lane changes as well as if the bike was not there. Anyone tried with two or more bikes where the rear camera view is more completely obscured? Does FSD shut down or is the rear camera not really needed?

I've been experiencing major problems with FSD when my rear mounted bike rack is empty, such as random sudden turns , either left nto the oncoming lane, often into oncoming traffic (😱), or right into the curb.

When the rack is carrying a bike, have not had similar issues. And no issues when not using the rack is not mounted on the car, a 2018 Model 3.

Tesla tech came out to problem solve but had no fix.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Just a couple of days ago, I had a bike rack and two e-bikes behind my MS. While on FSD-beta, the car suddenly lunged to the right toward a guard rail, with no provocation. Only a hand on the wheel prevented an expensive event. It's the first time that FSD beta has done this, and the first time I used FSD-beta with the bikes attached. Time will tell whether there's a causal connection.

Just a couple of days ago, I had a bike rack and two e-bikes behind my MS. While on FSD-beta, the car suddenly lunged to the right toward a guard rail, with no provocation. Only a hand on the wheel prevented an expensive event. It's the first time that FSD beta has done this, and the first time I used FSD-beta with the bikes attached. Time will tell whether there's a causal connection.
Pretty sure that's not related. I was just reading another thread talking about the behavior, which is relatively common.

I found this which describes my situation exactly.
"...FSD seems to be reading the bikes as a phantom vehicle very close behind us. This causes the car to make what I think are avoidance maneuvers. The car suddenly vears to the right or left of the lane. They are very different than the lane bias for large trucks. ..."

I can't recall if I've used FSD with my trunk mounted bike rack before, but I've only used the rack 3 times, so perhaps today was the first. Definitely unnerving. Wife hates it but she hates being a passenger when I use FSD anytime.