Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at this time.

There's an Actually Smart Summon coming one of these weeks/months that might do that. So:
  1. Open the door manually (it's available to do an "auto open", but, occasionally, the door's reversed while the car's still in the door, so we Stopped Doing That).
  2. Get in the car.
  3. Set the destination in the NAV. The little "FSD Ready" wheel is not set.
  4. Back out onto the driveway. The little "FSD Ready" wheel is still not set.
  5. Back out onto the street and aim the car forward. The FSD Ready wheel is still not set.
  6. Move up about 10'-20'. The FSD Ready wheel appears.
  7. One swipe on the shift lever and the car starts driving.
If parked on the street one can set the NAV and get the FSD Ready wheel right off - but it won't navigate away from the curb. Get out and it'll engage.

I have read reports on the FSD 12.X thread that peoples' cars have parked themselves. I, personally, haven't seen that, though.

1. Set the destination in the NAV. The little "FSD Ready" wheel is not set.
  2. Back out onto the driveway. The little "FSD Ready" wheel is still not set.
  3. Back out onto the street and aim the car forward. The FSD Ready wheel is still not set.
  4. Move up about 10'-20'. The FSD Ready wheel appears.
I think it has to be in drive to show the wheel. It's probably also necessary that your foot is not on the brake and there is also sometimes a delay. IOW, while this explains steps 1-3 in your scenario, step 4 might not be necessary other than you have to get it into drive and sitting still somehow (I drive a legacy model, so I'm not sure if the Palladium models have a shift lever or if you're posting about your 3/Y experience in an X thread). Also, if you backed into your driveway and garage, you might be able to trigger FSD sooner. I can trigger FSD pull out of my driveway and onto the road. I might even be able to let it pull out of the garage, but I generally don't trigger it even on my driveway or the attached unmarked road (even though I find it is finally decent on unmarked roads again with SFSD).

If parked on the street one can set the NAV and get the FSD Ready wheel right off - but it won't navigate away from the curb. Get out and it'll engage.
Mine has navigated away from the curb, but only when the parking spots in front of it are clear, I doubt it has programming to maneuver out of a tight parallel parking space or back out of an angle parking space yet.

I have read reports on the FSD 12.X thread that peoples' cars have parked themselves. I, personally, haven't seen that, though.
I also haven't experienced this, but mine will definitely turn into and drive through parking lots. It also shows parking spaces in parking lots when I'm driving manually, so I suppose it might technically do this if I let it drive through the parking lot, it showed the parking spaces while doing so, and I triggered the automatic parking from there... It's also possible that "parked itself" in the context you came across simply means it stopped close to the edge of a narrow residential road or pulled into a dead end driveway and stopped when it couldn't proceed forward (possibly not even shifting to park until they opened the door under either of those scenarios).

ETA: To address OP question, even if you were backed into the garage, I think you would need to manually open the door. It would probably manually close it on the way out if it let you engage, but the previous poster's "not at this time" applies regardless with you pulling into the garage.