Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future SpaceX Rocket Designs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion, this “Super Heavy” concept is something that Elon is simply saying is theoretically possible but will not happen. It would require significant engineering resources, another redesign of the center core to handle the additional stresses, and a major redesign of the TEL. In addition, it would likely not be able to be assembled horizontally which is the way SpaceX assembles the F9 and FH.

So it’s not going to happen. The BFR will be more capable and more cost effective than this imaginary FSH.

Reactions: bxr140 and Grendal
In my opinion, this “Super Heavy” concept is something that Elon is simply saying is theoretically possible but will not happen. It would require significant engineering resources, another redesign of the center core to handle the additional stresses, and a major redesign of the TEL. In addition, it would likely not be able to be assembled horizontally which is the way SpaceX assembles the F9 and FH.

So it’s not going to happen. The BFR will be more capable and more cost effective than this imaginary FSH.

Agreed. It's one of Elon's things that when asked a theoretical question, he answers it. That doesn't mean he's thought it all out completely. It can lead to newspeople and some of us regular folks assuming that something will actually happen. I think his next year BFR hops are probably along those lines along with using BFR for the tourism flight around the Moon. If F9 Block 5 can be rated for NASA astronauts then it shouldn't be too crazy to get FH certified compared to building a whole new rocket from scratch and getting it certified. Both would carry a human rated Dragon 2 which SpaceX will have a few extra sitting around. So my guess would be that we'll see the tourism flight in 2019 or 2020 on a FH. Hopefully we see some BFR hops in 2019 or 2020 too.

Reactions: bxr140