Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD space requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried looking online at videos and also in the owners manual but couldn’t find anything definitive so I figured I would ask here. What is the minimum space requirement for a new 2020 X FWD to open? I asked the rep when I test drove and he said it only requires 12”, not that I’m doubting but that’s a pretty small space and I want to be prepared in case I need to move things around to accommodate for opening space in my garage.

It is really works in remarkably tight spaces. 12 inches is correct. Now if your height is also constrained, that can cause a limit as well.
I real height constraint just share my garage with another full size SUV for the moment so I was worried about proper opening/closing space. If a foot is really good enough then I should have some room to spare for sure!!

Should be able to put suspense to very low to get maximum height, but I never dare open mine in my detached 1.5 car garage (garage is empty wall to wall). Always use home link summon and then everyone hops in comfortably.
I’ve got a standard 2 car (one big door) garage but my wife seems to think parking closer to the middle is no issue for other people (please don’t tell her I said that) and is always encroaching on my space lol. Most of the time I have a little over a foot so as long as the FWD can open I’m good.

Oh I opted to not get the FSD option atm cause honestly coming from a non AP Tesla and I work from home so no commute. I’m happy with just having the regular bells and whistles of the new version, not sure if that allows me to use summon or not...

I’ve got a standard 2 car (one big door) garage but my wife seems to think parking closer to the middle is no issue for other people (please don’t tell her I said that) and is always encroaching on my space lol. Most of the time I have a little over a foot so as long as the FWD can open I’m good.

Oh I opted to not get the FSD option atm cause honestly coming from a non AP Tesla and I work from home so no commute. I’m happy with just having the regular bells and whistles of the new version, not sure if that allows me to use summon or not...

I honestly think you’ll be fine, as that’s the selling point in a parking lot when some a** hole parks too close, granted I’m assuming you’d park far away and the a** hole being the guy that somehow thinks its ok to park next to you in a open parking lot. Most garages have good height, which normally isn’t the concern, but somewhere on this forum I saw a post where the sensors didn’t detect the door railings above. Just to be safe I’d suggest setting your falcon door heights to low in the settings. If it senses it can’t extend fully due to height the gps will take note for the future. My trunk cant even fully open as its right under the garage door, but oddly sometimes hits it ...guess I shouldn’t expect much from a garage built 50 years ago. Luckily before MX purchase I poured new slab and insulated the garage to R19.

Definitely see your point in not purchasing FSD. I bought into the whole Elon saying FSD will be worth a lot more in the future and could help with its resale value. Granted I don’t plan to sell in the next 10 years, but I probably cant afford FSD 10 years from now =)